cellphone quadpod

Discussion in 'My Work In Progress' started by philnolan3d, Jan 4, 2014.

1. philnolan3d
    philnolan3d Well-Known Member
    I made a model for a quadpod, a four legged tripod, for mobile phones. The legs use a standard ball and socket connection as well as the head. The idea would be to sell it with the body, head, and four feet, and sell sets of four leg segments separately if someone wants to extend the legs more like a Gorilla Pod. Anyway I only have to figure out how to attach the phone to the head. I considered making a hole in one side of the head and putting a screw through it to hold the phone in, sort of like a C clamp. Would it even be possible to print a thumb screw with threads and threads in the hole? I don't know if WSF would have enough detail.

I would probably make the legs or leg segments a little shorter and maybe the back part of the head shorter so it's covering less of the screen.

quadPod_01.jpg

Last edited: Jan 4, 2014
  2. stop4stuff
    stop4stuff Well-Known Member
    Threads can be done to quite good detail in WSF (e.g. 36tpi), but the accuracy of the finished print depends on the orientation of the print and the size of printer used (small printer = great detail, big printer = poorer detail). Another option could be a cam-lock type lever (similar to quick release on a bicyle wheel) to hold the phone in place.

Paul

3. philnolan3d
    philnolan3d Well-Known Member
    Well the size of the printer and orientation is up to Shapeways, I don't have any control over that. I'll have to look into the quick release lever. My bike has them but I never really looked at how they work.