Modeler Needed? Sketchup on my own? Two Ridiculously Simple Geometric Designs

Discussion in '3D Design Requests' started by 473017_deleted, Dec 31, 2013.

1. I would like a cost estimate for a modeler. I'm trying to build a pair of glasses that are mainly based on a wire frame, with 3D printed parts for the rim and temple pads. The rim and temple is a very simple design I can draw on a piece of graph paper in 5 minutes with a compass. I'll need two copies of both, the temple pads and the rims because the rims are based on the Mykita DD01 sunglasses. The attached image is a pair of them, and if you notice, the acetate/horn rim is mounted in a metal frame. What I'm aiming for in the geometric sense is a hollow short cylinder (a large ring i would say) with a groove in the inside (for mounting a lens) and a smaller groove on the outside (for the metal wire). The temples are just rectangular prisms with a couple holes here and there.

Also I'm a student in high school and I actually really don't want to spend money on anything these days except college, so can anyone tell me how to design such a simple shape in Sketchup instead? One of the roadblocks I have is figuring out how to show each measurement in mm (my primary mode of measurement in this design), and making a "cylinder-with-a-hole-in-it" ring.

edit: sorry, i'm new here on the forums, please PM me for details, discussions, etc. thanks!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 31, 2013
  2. Hi there, great initiative. I recommend spending a few hours watching tutorial videos on Sketchup so you can learn to do it yourself. It's really a great skill to have. My favorite beginner tutorials are here.

Best of luck,

Marcus

3. thanks, that really helped!