Gluing frosted material

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 394519_deleted, Nov 14, 2013.

1. Help - I am puzzled by my inability to stick frosted parts together. I have tried superglue and other modelling adhesives with limited success. Please advise - am I using the wrong glues? I've washed & air dried the parts so there is no residue - but still I am having no success.

2. UniverseBecoming
    UniverseBecoming Well-Known Member
    I've never have run into an instance where I needed to do that with this material. The only thing I could suggest, provided you did in fact remove all of the oil, is that super glue comes in various qualities. For example, super glue, also known as CA glue, that you might find at a dollar store can be of a much lower quality than the CA glue you would find at a hobby store.

A good fairly high quality brand, that you can get at just about any major hardware store in the US is this.

[​IMG]

The higher quality CA can be found at hobby stores like this.

[​IMG]

But lets say that it's not the quality, but rather, CA simply doesn't adhere to frosted detail or frosted ultra detail, which there are some plastics that CA doesn't adhere to. In that case, you might try something like this from an industrial supplier.

[​IMG]

Since FD and FUD are acrylics.

3. FreeRangeBrain
    FreeRangeBrain Active Member
    You may find better results in cleaning with heptane. If you're in North America, Michael's sells it under the brand "Bestine", located with the rubber cements.

4. stop4stuff
    stop4stuff Well-Known Member
    CA (super/crazy) glue works just fine on frosted detailed parts, but they do need to be 'clean'. My prefered method for cleaning is to put the parts in an ultrasonic cleaner with water and a few drops of hand dishwashing detergent (aka washing up liquid) for a couple of 3 minute cycles - no chemicals needed.

Paul
    [hr][hr]