Model showing black on upload

Discussion in 'Software and Applications' started by paulelderdesign, Sep 23, 2013.

1. First of all I'm not new to this and have been running my shapeways store with very few problems.

When I uploaded this model of the Jurassic Park Logo for a badge it came out all black. I tried flipping the normals and re uploading and got the same. It's a VMRL upload and I opted for "per face" rather than UV's as it's base colours set to self illumination. I'm working in 3DS Max.

Anyone please help? This has been driving me nuts as I have no issues at all with STL or OBJ uploads and want to offer full colour to my store :eek:

Paul

2. mkroeker
    mkroeker Well-Known Member
    So far one can only agree that it looks pitch black.. could be some default texture applied on top of the vertex colors, or a form of color
    declaration not yet supported by shapeways' upload software.
    Can you check the VRML with view3dscene (or some other VRML viewer), or can you make the file available ?
    (Alternatively, try uploading as DAE if your software can create that format - color DAE support was added just a few months ago.)

3. I tried both DAE and checked the box on VRML export that says color per vertex and I now have some colours but not all.
    This is what puts me off uploading colour models, I have tons of them to sell :mad:

Please find a screengrab attached of the export dialogue in 3ds max along with the model in my viewport how it is supposed to look.

Paul

Attached Files:

4. mkroeker
    Assuming "some colors but not all" refers to the preview images on shapeways (the product link you gave yesterday no longer
    works): If the static image is correct, but the rotating preview is only partly right - some areas with correct color, rest monochromic in one of the expected colors) it is due to a bug in the rotating preview. (Though this long-standing bug seems to have been fixed with one of the latest site updates ??).
    Does the VRML file look correct in view3dscene or some other viewer ? If not, it is probably a bug in 3dsmax (or an unexpected
    interaction with some other settings dialog within that program).

5. mkroeker
    Maybe this tutorial on youtube (lifted from this thread) helps ? It describes the actions necessary for exporting VRML with textures, but even if this is not what you want to do, it might show you what you need to undo (perhaps something in the material properties) ?

6. Well that vid helped although the guys voice sounded like he was going to cry after filming :laughing: . Here is the result all colours.

Paul

7. mkroeker
    Bet a cheap microphone will make you sound as if you were cosplaying maya the bee. :)
    So what was the trick to get the vertex colors exported from 3dsmax ? You may have noticed that
    the old thread had me splashing around rather aimlessly trying to help that guy, and so far anyone
    searching the forum will only learn that you both got it to work in the end *somehow*.

8. What I did was baked all the material via the render to texture then opened the seperate Jpg's in Photoshop and blocked out all the colour then applied them to the model and exported it. The bit in the video about keeping the textures Relative was vital so I did ./ thus removing any confusion. Finally opened it in Octava and there it was full colour :)

I noticed in the preview it looks a bit funny but that's got to be a glitch right?

Paul

9. mkroeker
    So you went from vertex colors to textures, or was the texture baking only necessary to bind them to the vertices ?
    (The preview worries me - same artefacts in both 2d and 3d preview. Are you sure that the underlying mesh is error-free ?)

10. AmLachDesigns
    AmLachDesigns Well-Known Member
    I may be out of date, but I thought the glitches were only on the 3d-viewer (and they may have been fixed).

When circles are filled with faces without a central point, you get faces like your black parts - I definitely smell a rat. Are you sure all your Normals are still ok, etc?

11. Fixed there was a duplicate of the geometry in there in black. Once I removed that it worked :)
    JP Logo

Thanks to all :D

Paul

Last edited: Sep 25, 2013