Home »  » 3D Design » Google Sketchup 8 - 3D Text inaccurate dimensions????
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Google Sketchup 8 - 3D Text inaccurate dimensions???? [message #74831] Sun, 15 September 2013 15:16 UTC Go to next message
avatar Rustysworkshop  is currently offline Rustysworkshop
Go to all my models
I was trying to use google sketchup to create some 3D text so I selected the 3D text tool and entered the Height as 30.00mm yet when I measure the text using the tape measure it measures 28.50mm. I need it to be precise how can I get the text to be exactly 30mm high?

Thanks in advance.
Re: Google Sketchup 8 - 3D Text inaccurate dimensions???? [message #74912 is a reply to message #74831 ] Tue, 17 September 2013 09:33 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar JACANT  is currently offline JACANT
Go to my shop
Use the scale icon pick the top grip and type in the scale box 1.052631578947368
Which is 30 divided by 28.5

jacantdesign@gmail.com
Re: Google Sketchup 8 - 3D Text inaccurate dimensions???? [message #74917 is a reply to message #74912 ] Tue, 17 September 2013 10:05 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar coaster  is currently offline coaster
Go to my shop
Cant you just measure it and type in 30.00mm and you will be asked if you want to rescale and you click yes.....then 28.5 becomes 30.????
Re: Google Sketchup 8 - 3D Text inaccurate dimensions???? [message #75331 is a reply to message #74831 ] Tue, 24 September 2013 02:32 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar TrainThingz  is currently offline TrainThingz
Go to my shop
I use SketchUp too, and I think I know what's happening there... it's caught me, as well.

When you stretch or shrink text, (or any object, really...) there are THREE handles at each point - Top, Bottom, and Middle.

If you pick the top or bottom handle, then the text THICKNESS will be scaled diagonally through the center along with it's height and breadth! That's probably what's happening, especially if you're grabbing a corner.

If you want to adjust the size in only ONE dimension, then you have to scroll in VERY close so that you can see the MIDDLE handle. When you select that one, you will adjust ONLY the object's X, Y, or Z dimension without affecting the others. This will let you make those fixes without changing the thickness.

[Updated on: Tue, 24 September 2013 02:33 UTC]

Re: Google Sketchup 8 - 3D Text inaccurate dimensions???? [message #75375 is a reply to message #75331 ] Tue, 24 September 2013 15:21 UTC Go to previous message
avatar Rustysworkshop  is currently offline Rustysworkshop
Go to all my models
Thank you everybody for all the help, I have managed to fix it now.

Previous Topic:Hollowing out first design?
Next Topic:Which is the best for 3D design: pro/e, solidworks, 3dmax, inventor, maya, or...?

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.