Can't Upload a Model- HELP!

Discussion in 'Bug Reporting' started by ihphobby, Sep 10, 2013.

1. ihphobby
    ihphobby Member
    Why are Shapeways' automated checks rejecting this stl mesh file? The original CAD is fine. I get error messages such as 'winding of triangles' or 'problems merging shells' neither of which I have experienced before. Is it Shapeways or my mesh?

Very frustrated,

Mike Bartel

Attached Files:

2. stonysmith
    stonysmith Well-Known Member Moderator
    Download and install Netfabb Basic from www.netfabb.com
    Open the STL file
    Click Repair (the red + icon)
    Observe the various areas hilighted in yellow (not orange). Those are holes that need to be closed. (there are 7700 of them)
    Right click on the main body of the car. In the menu, select "Select this Shell"
    Right click again, and select "Remove Selected Triangles"
    This will remove the main body, leaving a lot of "debris" around the model.

Your model has 6678 shells, and 7700+ holes. Generally, this is due to a bad boolean operation, but can also be because the STL export routine did the job badly.
    You might succeed in fixing this if you uploaded the model to cloud.netfabb.com, but it's very possible that their service will have the same problem with the model because Shapeways uses the same software.

What software did you build this model with? If there is some other export option, that may offer another solution.

3. ihphobby
    ihphobby Member
    Hi, thanks for the advice. I'm using Rhino 4. It must be the meshing process, but it has never given me problems before now. I've been evaluating Rhino 5 and plan to upgrade because it offers better meshing, but until then, I need to get this model done and uploaded. I'll try some of the other export options and see if one of them works.

Thanks!

Mike Bartel

4. ihphobby
    ihphobby Member
    Hi, still no luck with this file. I have a new version of it that is complete and modified with thicker walls and beefier details for 3D printing, but I still have the same meshing problem. I give up.

This is driving me crazy. I have been at this for five days with no luck. I have to get this uploaded in the next week.

I don't think my meshing engine is doing the job properly. Is there an online meshing service or engine that I can use for this? Not a mesh repair site, but an actual meshing engine. Repair doesn't work. I can't repair it properly in my program, and I can't upload it to Netfabb, and I can't get into Shapeways' MeshMedic for some reason. I am giving up on trying to mesh it myself.

What is my next move? Can anyone on this planet mesh my model for me?

Mike Bartel

5. stonysmith
    stonysmith Well-Known Member Moderator
    I'd offer to help, but I'm not a Rhino user.