Lost Pieces / Getting Parts From Some Other Order

Discussion in 'Bug Reporting' started by Mechanoid, Aug 21, 2013.

1. Mechanoid
    Mechanoid Well-Known Member
    I don't know where to bring this up at. So I'm picking here. I have a major issue that I feel needs to be brought out.

Over the last few months, every single test print order I have done, no matter the materials of the models being ordered. Have been held up because the folks at the New York Production Facility keep losing parts of my models. They spent 8 days re-printing the same model over and over again. According to the folks at the Service Team, the models had no issues in pre or post production, and they said that sometimes parts get lost.

I just got my test prints in for my Rob-Bot 1-87 model. https://shpws.me/oxci Every single one was missing the dome. And turns out the one that sold, also arrived without it's dome. The dome is not that small, so I don't see how they lost all of the domes at the same time.

This isn't the first time this has happened to a model either. I have several models that the NY Production Facility has lost parts too. Parts that are nearly half an inch long and a quarter of an inch high. No communications from that facility to explain why. They can print on of something, but lose every piece that fallows.

And over the last few months, every order that has come in, has parts belonging to someone else. How do they confuse a robotic arm from a transformer type model, for being part of a 1/1000 scale space station. And all I get are excuses. And it's my shop that takes part of the blame when a customer doesn't get all the parts to one of my models. Yet it's NY that is the one's that keep losing the parts.

Please ShapeWays, do something about this. It's beginning to get out of hand big time.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 6, 2013
  2. stonysmith
    stonysmith Well-Known Member Moderator
    For that model, I would place a sprue between the back of the head and the inside of the dome, so that the model as a whole is ONE part.
    (note: i realize this won't work for all models)

The core issue is that they do not print just one model at a time. These pieces get separated from each other, and it is a PAIN to get them collected into your shipping box.

Example: this model has 81 separate pieces.. http://shpws.me/oIBC
    The production team would have zero probability of getting all 81 back to me if it didn't have the frame.

Yes, "any" production team should be very careful with what they bag up and ship.. But, WE can help them out by reducing independent parts that can go flying around.

My item above represents ONE thing to bag up and ship.. if I presented it to them as all 81, they would 1) lose pieces 2) want to charge me more for the extra handling or 3) impose some rule denying multiple shells per model. We wouldn't want any of those solutions.

3. Mechanoid
    Stoneysmith, Sir. I've thought about that. But I have also ran into issues with spurs before. Had where spurs had to be over 1mm round, because they kept finding angles on the spurs that caused them to reject it. Mr. Jetten is the one who told me that spurs can cause major issues with smaller models.

But thank you for reminding me of that. But have to find a place to mount the spur, that doesn't destroy the models surface. He's very tiny.

4. dcyale
    dcyale Well-Known Member
    With me it's not a piece of a model, it's the whole model. The last order was short an item. The model is 9 inches long- not too easy to miss (did anyone get a 1/87 scale model railroad dining car interior in their latest shapeways box)?

The order before I got someone else's model instead of mine. I'm still not sure what I got- maybe a repair piece, but I'm sure the person who ordered it was puzzled by the 8 1/87 scale dining room tables sprued together he received.

Dave

5. bartv
    bartv Member
    Hey guys,

we recently introduced a 'part' count in our internal pages (you'll also find this on your product page!), which in theory should help remedy the 'missing part' issue. Did you experience any of this during the last two weeks?

I'll talk to some people and make them (more) aware of this issue.

Bart

6. Mechanoid
    Bart,

Actually yes, not just for me, but for a customer of mine as well. When I complained to Mrs. Hagens about this. She discovered that due to a computer glitch, a total shell count was not correctly given to the post production folks when cleaning out the printer tray and every single dome printed with my model #1218143 Rob-Bot 1-87 http://shpws.me/oxci did not make it with the body. Mrs. Hagens attempted to see if the post production folks might have still had the part. They did not.

But it does appear that the New York Production Facility and Post Production Facility had alot of extra parts laying around, because they sure sent them to me. Half of it I don't get what it is too. Not one of those "extra" parts looks anything like anything in my order. Some of the parts are pretty big too. The one bag hard parts that look like they came off this http://shpws.me/ooOh model #257334 Strigon Class Assault Carrier. The reason I say that, because I got the guns off this, the 2 big gun turret things. Well they were in a bag from http://shpws.me/oIEe model #1241938 Spacer1999 Eagles w/out Pods. Now I don't know how you can mistake a 3 gun turret for a spaceship model that has 4 pieces in it. But they put 4 of those turrets in with them.

The NY Facility has not impressed me, <<personal attacks removed to be in line with our forum guidelines-Natalia>>

YES I realize that sometimes some parts can be lost. But right now, they seem to make that a daily habit. <<personal attacks removed to be in line with our forum guidelines-Natalia>>

And if you can't tell, not happy with NY at all, I wish everything was back in Eindhoven. Because when everything was done in Eindhoven, I never had missing parts, or parts belonging to someone else's models.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 6, 2013
  7. 7943_deleted
    7943_deleted Member
    Samantha, we do appreciate your feedback, and I just emailed you directly regarding this.

We're the first to admit we can improve our processes and we welcome criticism, but please keep personal attacks and rudeness to a minimum, so we can all continue to have a constructive conversation.

Thank you and have a great weekend,
    Natalia