Weekend Contest #18: Tesla week

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Youknowwho4eva, Jul 12, 2013.

1. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    As you should know, Nikola Tesla's birthday was Wednesday. What better way to celebrate the life of a super genius inventor that has shaped our lives in so many ways, then a contest for some super genius inspired designs?

tesla birthday.jpg

So your challenge, if you accept it, is to create a printable design that represents Tesla, and or one of his contributions. AC power, radio waves, wireless transition of electricity, what ever you use most, or see as most impressive.

Post a picture of you model here, describe it's inspiration, and the model itself (material, usage, etc)

What's the prize?

$25 to use towards your creation, or any other Shapeways purchase.

That's all?

That's it, so plug into your AC outlet, use your wireless router, sit in your electrified thinking chair, and get designing

[​IMG]

2. Innovo
    Innovo Member
    My tribute to the Man. I made this a few months ago so feel free to exclude me from the competition part, if its against the rules.

Tesla 6.jpg

Based on his famous 1896 photo portrait, this is a 3D relief framed micro-painting representation, to honor one of the greatest inventors in human history.

I made it as a totem, to adorn my office and turn to for inspiration, when I am out of fresh ideas.
    He's like my inventor guardian angel :D

The choice for the FCS material was obvious since it's the only multicolored option for my micro-painting and it helps to keep costs down.

Nikola, I salute you!!!

Last edited: Jul 12, 2013
  3. MrNib
    MrNib Well-Known Member
    This contest makes me all tingly inside!

4. Youknowwho4eva
    You may be sitting too close to your Tesla Coil :p.

5. PeregrineStudios
    PeregrineStudios Well-Known Member
    This looks very cool - my first time entering one of these (and my first time seeing the contest in time to actually do so). And what an awesome contest idea, too! Tesla for the win.

I have a few ideas.... muahaha.

6. stonysmith
    stonysmith Well-Known Member Moderator
    If only we could mix metal+plastic in the same model.. we could print our own Telsa coils. :D

7. trishycakes
    trishycakes Member
    I have wanted to make this ring for my Mom for a long time. She is a major Tesla fan. It is made to resemble the patterns created by a tesla coil around an object--your finger. I have always been fascinated with electricity and Tesla coils are super cool.

The Model can be found here: https://www.shapeways.com/model/1207157/tesla-coil-ring.html

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Like all great inventors, the power comes from the Mustache.

tesla 1.jpg

Mustache is removable from base, so you can tape it to your face!
    I would recommend getting it in WSF and painting it with glow paint. Since you can't print lightning.

Model is here: https://www.shapeways.com/model/1209047/teslastache.html?

9. UniverseBecoming
    UniverseBecoming Well-Known Member
    Great contest idea! :eek:

I'm too busy to enter, but It'll be fun to watch and see who wins.

Stony, I wish we could do this too! :D

We could make the first primary out of steel, but what about the secondaries and second primary. Has anyone ever bothered to test if any of the black materials are conductive at high voltages? Or alumide? If any were we could use one of those to make the secondaries and second primary.

The ceramic material would most likely work as a good dialectic at high voltage.

10. Daphne
    Daphne Well-Known Member
    When is the deadline?

11. Youknowwho4eva
    :blush: How'd I miss that? End of the day Monday.

12. tomatwell
    tomatwell Member
    I am new to Shapeways and have not yet set up shop. I am in the test phase and have only received a few parts so far.

So, I saw this contest and thought I would make a quick weekend attempt.

One of the iconic designs of Nikola Tesla is Wardencllyffe Tower. It was built for wireless electrical transmission. If this concept had proved out we would see these on the landscape today. Instead of our current electrical towers strung in a line all interconnected with wires, we would have one of these at a power generating plant and another at a receiving station with no connections in between. Wouldn't that be cool!

For my model I found old images of the original and images of a model that someone else had done. I took a few quick overall measurements of the original. The tower is straight forward, but the top dome structure is a bit of a mystery. The old images don't show enough detail to discern the actual geometry. The images of the model do not seem to match up exactly with the original. A quick look at the patent was no help either.

In the end I simplified some of the design and just guessed for other areas. I could not make the dome members as thin as they appear in the original. So, there are some discrepancies there, also.

I do think the overall appearance is a good mimic of the original. If I had more time I would probably throw in more detail and try to get a more accurate rendering.

The Model can be found here: https://shpws.me/otNl
    [​IMG]

13. One of my favorite things about Tesla is his love of the sphere to the point of having a custom spherical urn created to store his ashes upon his death. As such, I have designed this pendant with his urn as a central theme:

NikolaTeslaPendantEntry.jpg

The central piece is a "hovering" sphere, representing his urn containing the remnants of his greatness. Emitting from the rear are stylized electrical arcs representing both his explosive genius and his experiments with all manner of electricity!

It is intended to be created in any of the glossy metals, any of the silvers, but would be best created in the premium silver!

While it may not be the most immediately obvious Tesla reference, I feel it would be a good conversation starter at a party when complimented by a matching silver chain. It could also be made to function as a pin with minor modification to the model.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2013
  14. sorhain
    sorhain Member
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2013
  15. bartv
    bartv Member
    Wow I love the concepts here. Had a good laugh about Brian_Richardson's moustache - you may be on to something here ;)

Nice choice of topic Mike, good work :)

Bart

16. MrNib
    MrNib Well-Known Member
    Mrnib had a minor car fender bender this weekend and will likely be on the phone and doing paperwork instead of honoring Mr Tesla...

17. stonysmith
    stonysmith Well-Known Member Moderator
    Alumide is definately non-conductive. I've tested it.

18. Youknowwho4eva
    If I'm not mistaken, the tower was meant to transmit and also be powered by the Earth's ionosphere, eliminating the need for power generating plants.
    Unlimited free electricity... Would be very cool, but not very profitable.

19. UniverseBecoming
    UniverseBecoming Well-Known Member
    Hi Stony. I see I see, thanks for the feedback. :)

20. draw
    draw Well-Known Member
    Here is a Nikola Tesla stamp ring from the ring creator but only in size 5. Nick is a bit wide in the face with larger ring sizes. I selected WSF because metal finger rings and Tesla lightning don't mix!

teslaring3views.jpg

http://shpws.me/oumy