Home » Support » 3D Printing » Thin Wall or Embossed Detail
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Thin Wall or Embossed Detail [message #68798] Tue, 28 May 2013 19:39 UTC Go to next message
avatar bmsleight  is currently offline bmsleight
Go to my shop
HI,

I try not to turn this in to a rant Smile

I have printed many traffic light cufflinks. I actually have more - but I could only find 5 pairs to hand. In the latest improvement, I have made a small change to bottom of the cufflink - completely unrelated to the top of the cufflink. Each of the cufflinks have a small these have a hood or shroud around the the traffic light. This part of the design has not changed in the last 5-6 protoypes.

I took alot of time to get the design within the rules. In particular according to sticky topic[1] - "Details taller than 1mm, are walls." The hood of the traffic light is not more than 1mm in height and sits on top of a base of 1.2mm in depth. Hence I feel this is an embossing, not a wall
[1] http://www.shapeways.com/forum/index.php?t=msg&th=1529&a mp;start=0&

The cufflinks should be on national TV in the UK in June. Ahead of this I wanted to print a Silver version (the ultimate bling), but the model has been rejected as wall too thin.

Photos are worth a thousand words ..... index.php?t=getfile&id=33259&private=0

Welcome some feedback on when a wall is a wall - or an embossing. So I can get my design right for silver, but still have it looking and functioning like a traffic light.

Cheers,
Brendan

• Attachment: Montage.jpg
    (Size: 227.57KB, Downloaded 73 time(s))

Re: Thin Wall or Embossed Detail [message #69117 is a reply to message #68798 ] Mon, 03 June 2013 16:54 UTC Go to previous message
avatar bmsleight  is currently offline bmsleight
Go to my shop
Got feedback,

For embossing to be embossing, height must not be > width.

IMHO - should be in the design rules.

Previous Topic:Pitting found in Strong-white-flexible print
Next Topic:General Question concerning threads

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.