Scale Issues with OBJ

Discussion in 'Materials' started by 347551_deleted, May 16, 2013.

1. I'm having scale issues with the OBJ file I am uploading. I have been using Maya to model, and I set it up so that the object is about 9 inches long (I found this out using the distance tool). Yet, every time I upload the file selecting MM as the scale, the dimensions tab on Shapeways is telling me it is 0.3 w x 0.9 d x 0.4 h Inches. If i select inches as the scale, it's dimensions become absurdly large. Is this an issue with the OBJ format or the shapeways upload?

Last edited: May 16, 2013
  2. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    Sounds like a Maya issue. Looks like your exporting as cm. Try scaling your item up by 10 and trying again.

3. Wow, I can't believe I didn't think of that. Thanks for the advice. Is this discrepancy normal for models exported by Maya?

4. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    With some programs there are different settings for what you see, and for what you export. So you think your drawing in one unit, because the dimensions you see are in that unit, but really their being stored in a different unit. This is something I've seen reported about Maya before.