Home » Community » It arrived! » Flying Snitch for Car Antenna
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Flying Snitch for Car Antenna [message #65838] Tue, 09 April 2013 17:30 UTC Go to next message
avatar dtistudio  is currently offline dtistudio
Go to my shop
This is my first design for a Flying Snitch, Car Antenna ball.

We've all seen the foam, antenna balls on top of car antennas. Well I wanted to make something a little more interactive so I designed a "flying" antenna ball.

This is one of two designs that I created for testing. This one is lighter and has less of an angle on the wings.

The ball slides over the car antenna and then a rubber grommet is placed over top to keep the snitch from flying off.

My next steps are going to be:
1. Test out on car
2. See how different conditions effect it (rain, heat, wind)
3. Make sure the rubber grommet holds it secure
4. paint it

index.php?t=getfile&id=30401&private=0

index.php?t=getfile&id=30402&private=0

• Attachment: PICT5158.JPG
    (Size: 1.55MB, Downloaded 550 time(s))

• Attachment: PICT5159.JPG
    (Size: 1.49MB, Downloaded 543 time(s))

DTI Studio - Dennis Roffe
Re: Flying Snitch for Car Antenna [message #65956 is a reply to message #65838 ] Thu, 11 April 2013 03:39 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar UniverseBecoming  is currently offline UniverseBecoming
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Great idea! Surprised

I would love to see it in operation once you get it dialed in. Smile

It always was. It always was because somethingness cannot spawn from nothingness. And in the was of the past there is the forever of the now. Only now. Only now and nothing new, for anything new would add to the infinite, yet there can only be one infinite. Only one. The universe is only becoming something new in the delusion of our minds. This delusion that makes life worth living in our perceived universe becoming.
Re: Flying Snitch for Car Antenna [message #65987 is a reply to message #65838 ] Thu, 11 April 2013 13:48 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Thanks James.

I tested it out the other day and it works great. At about 30 MPH it starts to climb the antenna then around 45 it shoots to the top and hangs on.

Now I just need to get one of my kids to hang onto the back of my car to film it. Very Happy

Hopefully I can get some good footage of it in action.

I will keep you posted.

Dennis

Re: Flying Snitch for Car Antenna [message #66009 is a reply to message #65838 ] Thu, 11 April 2013 18:21 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar jeff  is currently offline jeff
Go to my shop
this is fun, I dig.

Jeff Bare
Industrial Designer
@jbaredesign
Re: Flying Snitch for Car Antenna [message #66049 is a reply to message #66009 ] Fri, 12 April 2013 06:22 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Ok! Sounds great so far! Surprised

It always was. It always was because somethingness cannot spawn from nothingness. And in the was of the past there is the forever of the now. Only now. Only now and nothing new, for anything new would add to the infinite, yet there can only be one infinite. Only one. The universe is only becoming something new in the delusion of our minds. This delusion that makes life worth living in our perceived universe becoming.
Re: Flying Snitch for Car Antenna [message #66063 is a reply to message #66049 ] Fri, 12 April 2013 12:52 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar MitchellJetten  is currently offline MitchellJetten
Go to all my models
I work here
video!!!! Cool

Kind regards,

Mitchell Jetten
Customer Service Coordinator
Shapeways
Re: Flying Snitch for Car Antenna [message #66596 is a reply to message #66063 ] Sun, 21 April 2013 22:02 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Hey all,

I added a new post showing the snitch in flight or you can see it here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-w4dVxgjFdw

So far...so good.

Dennis - DTI Studio

Re: Flying Snitch for Car Antenna [message #66598 is a reply to message #66596 ] Sun, 21 April 2013 22:18 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Pretty darn cool! Surprised

I envisioned it wobbling more so it's nice to see it working in real life to make adjustments to my in brain physics simulator. Razz

Re: Flying Snitch for Car Antenna [message #66608 is a reply to message #65838 ] Mon, 22 April 2013 03:54 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Invicta_NC  is currently offline Invicta_NC
Go to all my models
This is great! my wife saw the video and now wants one for her car. I checked in your shop but didn't see it. When will it be available?

Thanks,
Malc
Re: Flying Snitch for Car Antenna [message #66613 is a reply to message #66608 ] Mon, 22 April 2013 07:57 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar MitchellJetten  is currently offline MitchellJetten
Go to all my models
I work here
Awesome!! very cool.

Unfortunately my car doesn't have a large antenna Sad

Kind regards,

Mitchell Jetten
Customer Service Coordinator
Shapeways
Re: Flying Snitch for Car Antenna [message #66691 is a reply to message #65838 ] Tue, 23 April 2013 08:00 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stop4stuff  is currently offline stop4stuff
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Great idea Smile

I've some WSF items on my car (testing for around 5 months now) - plain WSF soaks up all of the grime that roads & weather conditions can throw at it.
I'm also testing the same parts, painted with Humbrol spray acrylic (no primer), so far, so good Smile

Paul
Re: Flying Snitch for Car Antenna [message #66828 is a reply to message #66598 ] Thu, 25 April 2013 00:20 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Hey James,

I tested my other snitch and it did wobble a lot. The wings had a steeper angle and were thicker so I believe more are was flowing across the back tail.

Even though it wobbled it stayed facing forward which actually made it interesting.

Dennis

Re: Flying Snitch for Car Antenna [message #66829 is a reply to message #66608 ] Thu, 25 April 2013 00:23 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Hey Malc,

I should have it available for sale around the middle of May.

I'm glad your wife liked it.

I will keep you posted.

Dennis

Re: Flying Snitch for Car Antenna [message #66830 is a reply to message #66691 ] Thu, 25 April 2013 00:29 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Hey Paul,

Thanks for letting me know about the parts you have on your car and how they are holding up. Also, thanks for letting me know about painting WSF with acrylic.

I painted one of my antenna snitches with acrylic paint and am curious to see how it holds up through rain.

index.php?t=getfile&id=31122&private=0

index.php?t=getfile&id=31123&private=0

• Attachment: PICT5179.JPG
    (Size: 1.10MB, Downloaded 215 time(s))

• Attachment: PICT5181.JPG
    (Size: 1.43MB, Downloaded 221 time(s))

Re: Flying Snitch for Car Antenna [message #67509 is a reply to message #66829 ] Sun, 05 May 2013 22:49 UTC Go to previous message
avatar Invicta_NC  is currently offline Invicta_NC
Go to all my models
dtistudio wrote on Thu, 25 April 2013 00:23

Hey Malc,

I should have it available for sale around the middle of May.

I'm glad your wife liked it.

I will keep you posted.

Dennis

Thanks Dennis

I'll keep any eye out for it.

Previous Topic:Wearable Cat Ears
Next Topic:The puppies are here!

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.