I have scanned my design now what do I do

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by reprobubbles, Mar 31, 2013.

1. reprobubbles
    reprobubbles Member
    I run a small vacuum forming business. I make a lot of custom blister for vintage toys like Transformers and in the past I have been making dies out of plywood, but I am not that great of a woodworker. This is the proces of making the dies. If you are good with cutting plywood you can rout outthe shape of the bubble( this way you can slide the bubble into the hole) Cut the size you want the lip of the bubble all the way around then sand the corners to roundness you want. This will make a tracing board for a router or dremal. Mke sure you have a flush cut bit with barring. I found it would be very easy if you had a router table. This way you just hold the plywood die and rout all the way around the plywood. This will make the cut identical to what you made the plywood piece.

I hope this made sense. Now here is my question. I recently traced the blister I want to make a die for. I scanned the outline into my computer. What do I need to do to turn this scan into something i can print?

I added a file so everyone can take a look.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 31, 2013
  2. JACANT
    JACANT Well-Known Member
  3. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    If you want a simple 2D design, you want a cutting service. You could even get your own laser cutter engraver for a few thousand dollars now. It's less expensive for simple 2D designs to get them cut. And if you plan on doing it often, it's cheaper and faster to buy your own.

4. aeron203
    aeron203 Member
    Autodesk's 123D suite of free tools could help you with that project. By using 123D Design, you could trace the outline and extrude it up. More importantly, 123D Design has Fillet/round tools that will round the edges nicely, with whatever radius you specify. If you are making a bubble pack for a large item, you could either print that model, or build a more durable tool by using 123D Make to slice the model into layers that could be cut in 1/4" plywood by laser, scroll saw, or even a jigsaw and dremel. From there you would sand or fill to smooth the stepping.

One important note is that most 3D-printing materials are thermoplastic and would probably not survive vacuum forming. The best material in that case would be Sandstone (Plaster coated with super-glue), which you would want to be between 5-10mm thick, possibly with internal support walls/struts.

I'd also like to let you know that I have had the most success with the PC versions of the 123D software. The browser, Ipad, and Mac versions still had a few bugs the last time I checked.

Edit: re-reading your description, I see you are actually trying to build a jig (template) for your router. I still recommend the above process, as it would save the labor of manually routing each copy, and allow you to have arbitrary radius' and other complex shapes in your design.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2013
  5. I second that - 123d's suite is great - free and easy to use - not as feature filled as SolidWorks or something, but a lot less hassle to get going and it sounds like it would suit you well. Another thing is, if you decide you need the item laser cut instead (and there are services you can order intricate laser cuts from online, just like Shapeways for 3d prints. : - )) then you can use another tool in the suite to convert your 3d model into slices. The suite will also let you take a series of photographs and turn it into a model or shape a model like clay using a tablet device, both of which may be helpful in getting what you want. : - )

I would further suggest going to sites that have model repositories - many of which are free - and seeing if anything there would be just right or would make a good base for your work. Shapeways itself has many user models that are available for download, and a warehouse of parts that they guarantee will print. Sketchup, traceparts, grabcad, instructables, and pirate bay's physibles are other great options, with each site having its own niche.

Best of luck!
    Heather

6. reprobubbles
    reprobubbles Member
    Having my pieces cut out instead of being printed would be better. If the plastic is rigid enough, it would probably work fine.

Yes, trying to build a jig (template) for your router. I was trying to learn autodesk 123d, however I haven't found any great tutorials. I can't open my scan in the program so I could just trace it.

Any other advice would be appreciated.

7. JACANT
    JACANT Well-Known Member
    Open your scanned image in https://inkscape.org/ Open the help menu - Tutorials. have a good read especially 'Tracing'
    Once you have traced your image save as an SVG file which then can be imported into https://www.blender.org/ Everything you need now can be done in Blender. Again just read some of the tutorials.
    You can select the Object and Convert it to Mesh (ALT C) Then export it as an DAE file which can be imported into https://www.sketchup.com/ This being more user friendly. Once in Sketchup you will have to Select it - Edit - Component - Explode. Now if it is just a simple outline draw a line across to create a face delete the line you have just drawn. Use the Push/Pull tool to extrude to the height you want. If that is all you want, Export the model as DAE direct to Shapeways.
    Or Export as STL 'plugin required' https://www.guitar-list.com/download-software/convert-sketchu p-skp-files-dxf-or-stl.
    Open the STL file in https://www.netfabb.com/basic.php Here you can check, repair, scale and measure your model.
    It is good because WYSIWYG when you upload it to Shapeways