Is the stainless steel material magnetic?

Discussion in 'Materials' started by 304092_deleted, Feb 15, 2013.

1. Hi all,

short question: Is the stainless steel material magnetic? I read that steel is magnetic generally but in stainless steel there are other chemicals to stop corrosion which may make it non-magnetic. Anyone knows or already has a model to try?

BIG THANKS!

Cheers,
    George

2. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    Our Stainless is infused with bronze, and is able to be magnetized. I've even seen reports of pieces being shipped pre-magnetized as a byproduct of one of the processes.

3. So if I make a piece out of the stainless steel, magnets will attract it?
    So I dont speak about making a magnet out of the steel model, but attracting it with magnets.

Thanks for the quick response :)

Last edited: Feb 15, 2013
  4. stop4stuff
    stop4stuff Well-Known Member
    Shapeways stainless has about 40% of the magnetic susceptability of mild steel.
    The surface of a flat surface is not flat when printed, there are some surface imperfections.
    The iregularity of the surface reduces the 'magnetic stick' a bit, 50kg 'pulling power' neos might only be 15kgs worth overall.

Paul
    [hr][hr]

5. Hi,

thanks for that answer, you really helped me! I actually realized that it will be far to expensive for me to print this in steel unfortunately :( I already uploaded it and that would cost 2400€ :confused Its not difficult to print but its a little bigger...

Thanks for the support anyways! :)

Cheers!

EDIT:
    Now at 108€ but cant save anywhere anymore :D Bummer! :(

Last edited: Feb 16, 2013