Menifold problem

Discussion in 'Design and Modeling' started by jeroen870, Aug 23, 2009.

1. jeroen870
    jeroen870 Member
    Hi!

I'am still a newbie, and so I've a little problem when uploading these two files. I'm getting the error: "Only manifold objects can be printed.".

I know what kind of problem this is, but I can't find any problems in my editor.

It would be great if someone could help me out with this.

Grz,

Jeroen

Attached Files:

2. 21170_deleted
    21170_deleted Member
  3. jeroen870
    jeroen870 Member
    Well,... there was just a small error with my manifolds, but now shapeways says: "Based upon the size, volume and wallthickness of your model there is no printer available which is able to print your model. Please adjust the volume and/or size of your model."

But the model is not that small. (23x28x2,2(=wall) in mm )

What can I do?

4. 21170_deleted
    21170_deleted Member
    katenjerschaal.stl:
    The side walls are 1.00619mm thick. Needs to be at least 2mm for WSF.

katenjerschaal.stl:

I think it's the arches of the "K" when they first come out. They are only 1.2mm there. Not entirely sure though.

I'd try scaling just a little bigger and then test upload to see when it is able to print.

5. jeroen870
    jeroen870 Member
    Yea, but I tried that already. But when I go to the gallery on shapeways, there are some shapes that are much more curly (and thinner) then mine.

The biggest file is OK now. (was only a manifold problem)

And the strange thing is that the small file is just a little bit different then the file I posted a topic before. And that file is ok now.

6. 21170_deleted
    21170_deleted Member
    Looking at other peoples models is going to be a very misleading venture as the display is scaled to make it fit a percentage of the scene. I scaled your model to 40mm (1.57") across and it uploads fine.

The attached version is printable.

Attached Files:

7. jeroen870
    jeroen870 Member
    Mmm, well yea. 4cm is a little to big for me.
    I'll play with it a little more.

But there is one thing I don't understand; if you have a tip (a spear f.e.), then the tip is getting smaller to the end. At one point it will be smaler then 2mm.
    Why does shapeways does not complain at that point?

Tnx for your help btw.

8. 21170_deleted
    21170_deleted Member
    There are two basic measurements to deal with in 3D printing.

The first is a valid printable object.
    Shapeways has identified the minimums for:

[list type=disc]
    [*] Size
    [*] Thickness
    [*] Wall thickness (For hollowitems)
    [/list]

They have validated through testing that anything less than a certain value (different for each Material)will not produce a valid print. I.e., it would be so thin it would be sure to break.

That being said, the actual print resolution is much much finer than these thresholds. In WSF it is down to .2mm (200 microns)

I am not privy to the actual algorythm they use to calculate a valid print, but rest assured, these are there to keep you, the customer, from ordering something they know you won't be happy with.

You can read about Materials here:
    https://www.shapeways.com/about/material-options