From Sketch to Reality

Discussion in 'My Work In Progress' started by TurtlesAreCool, Jan 26, 2013.

1. I made this sketch the other day. I'm going to turn it into a vector drawing so it can be used to emboss or engrave something. After that, I'm not sure what I should do with it.

What do you think?

(Note - the design will be symmetrical. I'm right-handed, so the right side of the drawing always looks better than the left. That's why I often don't bother to draw both sides when it is symmetrical)

1-angel.JPG

2. Well, I turned it into a vector and produced this as a test. I made the design a bit deeper than necessary, to account for polishing.

Thoughts on other ways I could use this?

https://www.shapeways.com/model/891968/

3. I made another version of this, except with more sword.

I think I'll try out the FCS material with it. Any thoughts? Should I make it a flat object with thickness (i.e. something that you might hang as a decoration) or something else?

angel_sword_vector_colored.png

4. Ray716
    Ray716 Member
    I really like the render with the sword. very awesome design.

Ray

5. UniverseBecoming
    UniverseBecoming Well-Known Member
    Yeah I like it too! This would look great as a flat bas relief Christmas ornament!

6. 7943_deleted
    7943_deleted Member
    Wow! Looks great :)

7. Thanks, all.

I haven't tried the FCS print yet, but here's my quickie paint job on the test print I got the other day. I think it looks pretty good, although it lost some detail because I had to make the engraving shallower due to wall thickness issues. Personally, this is small enough that I think it would have been fine and was willing to accept the risk of a poor print, but w/e. I was breaking the rules pretty badly in this case. :D
    angel_print_painted.JPG

8. UniverseBecoming
    UniverseBecoming Well-Known Member
    Keep up the great work! Looking good! :)