not sure this would work, please let me know

Discussion in 'Newcomers Lounge' started by 293803_deleted, Jan 22, 2013.

1. Hello my name is Scott. I have always liked cars and customizing them, especially my 94 mustang. 2-3 yrs ago I noticed that there were no quarter window louvers made for my 94 gt and wondered what a set might look like if I made them. I spent some time shaping medium density fiberboard and bondo into the product below.

[​IMG]

WhenI was done I posted pics on my cardomain page and also on a mustang forum and was happy to hear from a few people that said they would buy a set if I ever made them. I planned on making another one for the drivers side and using these two pieces as a plug for a fiberglass mold so I could then copy them out of fiberglass. It got put on the back burner because I have never made a mold before and has just been waiting for other projects to finish so I could go back to this one. Could 3d printing be a possibility to make these and would they be durable enough to withstand the elements if they were on a car? Would it be possible to take the model of this side and reverse it to fit the drivers side? Neat stuff, thanks for your time.

2. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    I think the best thing to do would be to 3D print the mold. I don't think it would last long on the outside of you car without being made of an expensive material or with extensive post processing. And a model that large would be pricey.

What I would do:
    1) model one side
    2) minimize the model to either wire frame, or sliced
    3) print it at a reasonable price
    4) wrap in fiberglass, or fill with epoxy

As long as it's price doesn't make it unsellable, just mirror copy the model, and repeat. As long as it's only a few. You could do the same to make the mold, if you need to make more than a few.

3. as much as I love it I have not had it on the car other then for the pic as I know it would just rot apart. I am not sure what expensive is on here but other models of louvers for cars typically can cost $2-300 for a pair so not sure if there is any room there or not?

The back side could be completely flat and its outer dimensions are, just the slats that I arranged are at an angle but it would not matter. Not sure what would be involved to convert my actual piece into a 3d model, can you give a link or explain the process a little more? I see lots of cool projects here but could not really find any info on prices to make them or what is involved. I am sure I am looking in the wrong place so far so any info would be helpfull.

Thanks for your time

Scott

4. Youknowwho4eva
    The price is by volume for all materials except Ceramics. So you are only charged for the material you use. There are a couple options for you, easiest of which would be to find a modeler in Modeler for hire or Modeler needed.

5. went through and looked at all the ads. Would I send this piece too them to get the size right or how we go about that? Again not sure if the price to get it made would even be done cheap enough to sell them with out a crazy price or if the materials used would be able to put up with the conditions a car is exposed too.

Should I just post my pics in one of those links as I realize this is the introduction area. Just so much to learn here as I know nothing...

6. Youknowwho4eva
    You can post in Modeler needed, and a modeler will get with you. Or you can message someone in the modeler for hire section and ask them what you need to send them. They may be able to do it with some pictures and dimensions.

7. I would hate to yank someone around and find out in the end the cost is too much. Is there a place I can get an idea of what it would cost to put it into 3d? How much it would cost too make? Or should I go and ask with out knowing all of this?

Sorry for all the questions.

Scott

8. Youknowwho4eva
    Go ask a modeler, they'll be able to quote you on the work and probable price.

9. stonysmith
    stonysmith Well-Known Member Moderator
    Can you supply some dimensions of the object?

It looks to be about 8 inches by 6 inches by 1/2 inch. In millimeters that'd be 203x152x13

My calculator gives a cost of $70 for that in Nylon, and "a bit more" for Silver. <grin>

Last edited: Jan 23, 2013
  10. 12" x 16" x 1/2"

11. stonysmith
    stonysmith Well-Known Member Moderator
  12. I would assume they have a more accurate way of accounting for the material? With this being all curves, hollow in the back it would take alot less material.

How well does it hold up to the heat/ext conditions that it would be exposed too on a car? Would it warp on a hot day in the sun?

Thanks again for your time in answering all these.