New Plastic Colours?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by PeregrineStudios, Jan 10, 2013.

1. PeregrineStudios
    PeregrineStudios Well-Known Member
    First off, not sure if this is in the right place. If not, sorry!

Now then, on to business. I was wondering if we're going to see more plastic colours come out in addition to the red, pink, etc. we already have. I'm personally hoping, looking, and asking for plastics in shades designed to look like they belong with our three stainless steel finishes - steel, bronze, and gold.

The reason I ask is that for many designs, it's simply not practical or possible to design the entire product out of stainless steel, either for price reasons or material reasons. However, often these different parts are meant to go together (like a bead on a pendant). Yes, we can spray paint our WSF plastic to look like these finishes, but it never matches up exactly. I personally would love to see plastic finishes that are as close as possible in shade to stainless steel finishes. Or even go a step further and add a new variety of plastic material with bronze, gold, and steel powder mixed in (I'm not sure if that's doable with 3D printing, however). I know that many designers who make things 'the old-fashioned way' will, if they want a cheap prop that looks like bronze, often use a clear resin plastic and mix in some brown colouring and bronze powder. I'd love to see something like that available on Shapeways.

Just my two cents, anyhow.

2. DaBroNrw
    DaBroNrw Member
    I also like to know if there is a chance to get more colors:

like (colors normally most people wanted or? Because of the standard color range: red, green, yellow, -blue- beside black and white)
    green tone
    yellow tone
    brown/ beige tone

and some special wishes... (I think with no real chance...)
    flesh color??
    and grey again (because alumid is to brittle)
    dark blue

cu
    Ingo

3. Bathsheba
    Bathsheba Well-Known Member
    GLOW IN THE DARK PLZ KTHX

4. PeregrineStudios
    PeregrineStudios Well-Known Member
    Ooooh, that's a good idea too. That never even occurred to me.

5. I'd die for glow n the dark - but who knows if its even possible?

6. Bathsheba
    Bathsheba Well-Known Member
    It's already available in spools for home printers.

More to the point, glow ceramic glaze is a thing. http://www.glo-net.com/ceramic.html

I don't understand what everyone is doing all day that they think is more important than this.
    Can I get a witness?!

7. Kaetemi
    Kaetemi Member
    Someone should modify a WSF laser machine to include a printhead from a color printer so it can switch between printing the colors and lasering and provide the most awesome full color strong and flexible material ever.

8. mkroeker
    mkroeker Well-Known Member
    Problem with glow-in-the-dark stuff is probably that these materials are pigments, not dyes (and relatively coarse-grained powders
    if you want any significant effect). Either zinc sulfide (green and longer wavelengths down to red by using an additional dye) or
    rare-earth silicate (blue). This probably makes them easier to use in the FDM process or in glaze (easier to disperse evenly in
    viscous materials).
    That said, the blue phosphorescent material is pretty amazing - gives off an eery glow for many hours. Sadly, I have not found an appropriate
    problem for this solution yet - perhaps I should model the crystal structure of some uranium ore and paint the uranium atoms to produce what
    looks like cherenkov radiation. :p (Another nice thing about this pigment is that it is a harmless off-white, unlike the zinc sulfide that is a sickly green
    even in daylight)

(Edited: mis-spelling of rare-earth...)

Last edited: Jan 15, 2013
  9. mkroeker
    mkroeker Well-Known Member
    I guess the zcorp guys already thought about that - but the inkjet dyes do not exactly like being torched by a laser...