can ldd models be uploaded on this site

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by KeatonBale, Dec 31, 2012.

1. KeatonBale
    KeatonBale Member
    can models i make on lego digital designer be uploaded on this site

2. victorrings
    victorrings Well-Known Member
    i think there is a way to import the file into BLENDER and do it that way. what you should be asking though is that if it is ok. Legos are owned by someone else and you could get in a bunch of trouble replicating them.

c

3. stop4stuff
    stop4stuff Well-Known Member
    Lego Digital Designer can export LDraw files.
    There is a converter out there that will convert the LDraw .dat file to .obj which can then be uploaded to Shapeways.

From my experience, the LDraw files are not physically dimensionally correct and the Lego part is often made up of subparts which all need to be knitted together to form a non-manifold mesh - it can be done but it is a bit of a pain.

iirc The Lego Group have a 8 or 10 year policy on releasing their IP rights for certain aspects such as LDraw or peeron.com - basically if the 3D model file for a part is in the public domain and availabe via LDraw, then the part is useable - you can always jump on the Lego.com website and shoot them an email for unltimate clarification.

Paul
    [hr][hr]

4. victorrings
    victorrings Well-Known Member
    that is good to know!

i had worked with the lego digital designer a while back and just a couple of days ago downloaded it again for a project that i wanted to do. i was going to use it to create and order a set based on my designs. i finished my design and uploaded it to the lego website and found out that they have discontinued the my design feature that lets you create a lego set based on your own design! this is ridiculous! i have lost all respect for lego due to this. and their explanation is totally outrageous- it was too successful- that it was hard to keep up. it would seem to me if it were that successful that they could write their own check.

as disappointed as i am i can't help but think that this might be an opportunity for a secondary designer to create designs and sets.

c