Reshaping/resizing WSF with hot water

Discussion in 'Finishing Techniques' started by MuchDesign, Dec 27, 2012.

1. MuchDesign
    MuchDesign Member
    Hi everyone, I'm new to the wonderful world of 3D printing and just got my first order from Shapeways! My object didn't fit at first, but soaking it in hot water allowed me to stretch it enough to fit. I hope this will be useful to someone.

I ordered a cubichain bracelet, which was too short because I didn't measure properly before ordering. This is it as received:
    CIMG2395.JPG
    (to be continued)

2. MuchDesign
    MuchDesign Member
    Some notes on reshaping:
    [list type=circle]
    [*] I tried 80C hot water at first, but it didn't seem to soften enough, so I ended up using 90C. I had a kettle that could provide 90C hot water. If you don't, I guess you could dilute boiling water.
    [*] WSF is still quite strong at that temperature. I estimate I was using almost my full strength to pull it.
    [*] If your WSF is dyed, the dye will run out. Using a disposable cup is advised.
    [*] Similarly, the object will drip hot water, so be prepared.
    [/list]

I think this design is more suited to reshaping, since the cubes can just skew without stretching. Still, it causes them to lose some symmetry. The bracelet seems to have elongated by about 10%.
    CIMG2399.JPG
    I estimate it can stretch by at least 20% before it breaks, but the cubes won't look like cubes by then.