Home » Community » General Discussion » the connection between price and volume is not correct
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
the connection between price and volume is not correct [message #58886] Wed, 19 December 2012 13:41 UTC Go to next message
avatar HankChinaski  is currently offline HankChinaski
Go to all my models
Hi everybody,

I loaded up a model to shapeways to get an approximately price for it. I want to use the Strong & Flexible Plastic (not dyed, not polished). Shapeways calculated the volume of the model to be 1609,06 cm³ and the price to be 1141,84$.
If i calculate the price myself, my result will be 2252,68$.

Now i hollowed the model to make it cheaper. The volume of the hollowed model is 682,03 cm³ and the price is 956,35$.
I mean the volume is reduced by more than the half, but the price is reduced by only about 15 percent.

I really dont get it how the price is calculated. maybe someone can point me in the right direction.

Measurements of the bounding box: In: 11.6 w x 6.3 d x 8.8 h
Cm: 29.5 w x 16.1 d x 22.3 h

Thanks in advance,

Hank
Re: the connection between price and volume is not correct [message #58887 is a reply to message #58886 ] Wed, 19 December 2012 13:47 UTC Go to previous message
avatar virtox  is currently offline virtox
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
It is probably because of the density discount:

http://www.shapeways.com/materials/strong-flexible :
Quote:

We also offer a volume and density discount on Strong & Flexible materials. For models that are greater than 10% dense (material volume divided by bounding box volume), after the first 20cm3, the remaining volume is calculated with a 50% discount.

- Artist / Engineer / Designer / Shopowner / Volunteer / Moderator -

Previous Topic:Perfect Ceramic Glazing
Next Topic:uploaded models don't look like my files

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.