Hollow Problem

Discussion in 'My Work In Progress' started by jeremyzschau, Nov 29, 2012.

1. jeremyzschau
    jeremyzschau Member
    I am using Strata Design 3D CX6. I want to make a skin object and each slice of the skin is a compound path. I export the file as obj for NetFabb basic but the model appears with open ends.
    hollow problem.jpg

2. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    Hmmm I've never heard of your CAD software, but in netfabb you should be able to close the shells.

3. Face normals facing the wrong direction will show up red in Netfabb basic also. Upload your object/stl file here so folks here can get a better look, possibly diagnose the problem.

Ignore the comments about the normals. I had a confusion attack. You have two holes, the inner hemispheres upper edge and the outer surfaces upper edge. Netfab will just close the outer cups edge when you try to repair it,leaving 2 shells. I bet you will wind up having to perform a boolean operartion, or manually connect verts, and fill holes

Last edited: Nov 29, 2012
  4. jeremyzschau
    jeremyzschau Member
    It's not the same but this model is more simple.

Attached Files:

5. JACANT
    JACANT Well-Known Member
    Export your file to Netfabb.
    Click on repair, Red Cross
    Hover over the icons at the top till you find 'Add Triangles' Click this
    Pick one of the edges. It will turn blue. Pick another face over the red internal part.
    A new face will be created.
    Right click on the edge of the new face and pick 'Close Hole'.
    The internal red is covered by a new face.
    Flip model over and do the same on the other side.
    Once done. Click on Apply Repair.
    Go to Part - Export part.
    Export as STL.

6. I tried out Jacants technique which worked wonderfully. I never did export it as a stl in NF for some reason. Opened it in Blender, some odd reason the holes were filled, except the interior one. Anyone that uses Blender needs to experiment with this, to prove I am not going crazier.