The Gift of Music - Ring Flute

Discussion in 'Feature this!' started by RingFlute, Nov 26, 2012.

1. RingFlute
    RingFlute Member
    Shapeways and 3D printing allowed me to solve ALL of my most difficult design dilemmas. Moving away from 2 bonded pieces, to a single printed instrument.

RF-BLUE2.jpg

The idea for a circular flute came from some of my travels. On the other side of the world, in Yangshuo China, I was mesmerized by a Cantonese street performer (a very gifted bamboo flute player). Over a two-week period, I sat on the street corner for hours a day listening to him play. On my last day in the area, I tried describing a South American Ocarina flute to him using only hand gestures (I cannot speak Cantonese). The ocarina's hollow football shape was not easy to describe. However, I found a piece of garden hose littered in the street that maybe could assist me. I placed the ends together, end-to-end. That was not really the shape I had intended and more than anything I think that I just really confused him. So, I walked away nodding my head, wondering what he thought this dumb foreigner might be trying to do with a piece of garden hose.

Over the next few days on Transiberian train, I had plenty of time to think and the garden hose shape kept popping up in my daydreams. I began to wonder... what if? Could it work? ...........Maybe?

Material Details: egg shell blue ceramic
    Acoustics: great tone with a haunting hollow sound - I will get a sound clip recorded asap.

https://www.shapeways.com/shops/RingFlute

Last edited: Nov 26, 2012
  2. stop4stuff
    stop4stuff Well-Known Member
    Wow!

Can't wait to hear the audio.

3. RingFlute
    RingFlute Member
    STOP4STUFF ................Thanks for the kind words.

I have the audio, but still trying to figure out how to add it to my shop?

Thanks again,

RingFlute

Attached Files:

4. stop4stuff
    stop4stuff Well-Known Member
    The flute sounds great!

You could make a video with a slideshow of images of the flute accompanied by the sound playing for uploading to YouTube, then add the video to the model page.

Paul

5. RingFlute
    RingFlute Member
    re: video slideshow w/sound and upload to YOUTUBE.

Hi Paul, great suggestion. I might need my daughter to help me with that one. Thanks for suggestion,

James