My new shop!

Discussion in 'Newcomers Lounge' started by Kimotion, Nov 12, 2012.

1. Kimotion
    Kimotion Member
    https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kimotionarts

After a couple of years of lurking, I finally decided to put my stuff out there to the world :)

I have little cg modeling experience, so I'm using this shop to kind of experiment with different designs and ideas. As you can see, my modeling experience is still just limited to flat like objects using just extruding and boolean cutting.

I plan to have pics of the actual products once they are "printed" and delivered to me (taking longer than I'd like), and once they arrive I will have a more attractive store.

Please let me know what you guys think of the products....any critique or suggenstions will be very appreciated! I work in an industry where my stuff is critiqued harshly so I have a thick skin :)

-Jeff

Last edited: Nov 12, 2012
  2. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    Hey Jeff, a late welcome to you. I moved your post to introductions, as you're more introducing your self and your shop. Where the Shop Owners section is more for feed back as a Shop Owner on your Shapeways experience. Please feel free to tell us more about you and your shop.

3. pezhetairoi
    pezhetairoi Member
    Greetings Jeff.

I'm new here too. I clicked over to your store and I took a look at your designs.
    My first thought was that they would laser-cut very well. It might be cheaper, too.
    Since they are really 2D designs "with depth" you would only need a 2D drawing from "the top" to have them cut in any thickness available.

4. Kimotion
    Kimotion Member
    Thanks pezhetairoi,

Yeah, I was looking at another site where they seem to emphasize laser cutting. To be honest, I have years of experience with 3d software and virtually ZERO experience with 2d software, so I took the lazy way and stuck to a tool I know :)

Thanks for stopping at my store and taking a look!

-Jeff

5. Youknowwho4eva
    Laser cutting can make sense for large objects or multiple objects where you're going to use a whole sheet.

Jeff, you should be able to export DXF or DWG 2D drawings from your software. I know in my software, it exports from top view, so what ever I see from top view is the flat profile I get. If your talking about the service I think you are, you may need to then use a photo software like illustrator. I know I had trouble getting workable product uploaded. But like I said for small items, I don't think that will be competitive.

6. pezhetairoi
    pezhetairoi Member
    I only mention the laser-cutter because I use one everyday in my workshop. Looking at your designs, I'd say they take at most 20-30 seconds each (for 1/8" or 3mm acrylic) on a machine like mine.
    All laser software is different, but most of them can use all popular vector-based drawing formats: DWG, DXF, corel draw (CDR), adobe illustrator (AI) etc... Some can also import raster files (bmp, jpg) for engraving (not cutting).
    If you can do basic 3D, 2D is a walk in the park. It's just lines, arcs and connect the dots!

Youknowwho4eva has a good point about quantity. Especially if there is a set-up fee, shipping, or a minimum charge associated with the laser service.

Where laser cutters fall flat on their face ;) is when your object has a bend, taper, or curve in the 3rd dimension. For example, if your medallions were rippled like a ribbon, instead of flat.

7. Kimotion
    Kimotion Member
  8. Youknowwho4eva
    All of us are pretty easy to reach. If you know our name, add @shapeways.com to email us. I see that was posted by Duann. You can also reach out to our friendly community manager Natalia. Also lots of other contacts on our Contact us page that can be found at the bottom of every page under the help category.