Factory of the Future / NY / When and What.....

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by CactusBones, Oct 20, 2012.

1. CactusBones
    CactusBones Member
    I would love more details about when the new NY shapeways location will be fully operational and when orders will be printed and shipped from there. Will all finishes be offered for print through this location? Will this mean that the turn around estimate will be quicker since my models will be shipped from within US ( I am also in the US)? I will be printing mostly in metals and ceramic. Any info about where I can find answers to these questions is much appreciated!

2. nervoussystem
    nervoussystem Member
    to the best of my knowledge, stainless steel and ceramic are already printed in the US (and have always been)

the Shapeways factory in NY will be printing WSF and Detail family materials. not sure when though. I'm interested in knowing more about that too.

3. stannum
    stannum Well-Known Member
    They got a machine for Frosted. Are they getting machines for the other Detail range too?

4. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    FUD is already coming out of NY. And if you watch the Ribbon Cutting, the Mayor pulls out the WSF scissors and uses them to cut the ribbon. Very soon more and more will be coming out of NY.

5. nervoussystem
    nervoussystem Member
    sure, sure. But all of my WSFP orders are still being made in the Netherlands. I'm wondering how long until they are made in the US.

6. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    Today? I'll check with the people on the inside, but I got an order in the mail today that was printed in NY in WSF.

7. In Mayor Bloomberg's speech at Shapeways, he mentioned Shapeways has an office in Seattle. Anyone know what the function of that office is? ...manufacturing, logistics, something else?

Last edited: Oct 22, 2012
  8. MitchellJetten
    MitchellJetten Shapeways Employee CS Team
    Hey guys,

We have a few engineers working (software and 3d development :) ) in Seattle.

Mitch

9. 7943_deleted
    7943_deleted Member
    Hey guys,

Since there are just a few machines in NY (FUD and WSF) we do try to assign US orders for the NY factory.

There are currently a lot more US orders than we have the capacity for in NY as the factory is just getting going so a lot of your orders, especially large ones (Nervous Systems!) are still printed in the Netherlands.

As we build out the factory and expand our capacity there, you can be sure we'll be printing local as much as possible.

The estimate is to get the factory up and running by early 2013.

You can read more details in Kegan's blog post here: https://www.shapeways.com/blog/archives/1692-Factory-of-the-F uture-Our-Plan-to-3D-Print-3-to-5-Million-Unique-Products-Pe r-Year-in-NYC.html

Best,
    Natalia