Home » Support » 3D Design » Printing a surface made up of thin faces
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Printing a surface made up of thin faces [message #54913] Fri, 05 October 2012 03:52 UTC Go to next message
avatar evouga  is currently offline evouga
Go to all my models
I recently published a paper on designing surfaces that are stable under gravity: www.cs.columbia.edu/cg/pdfs/188-selfsupporting.pdf

I would now like to take an example of a surface designed on the computer, and realize it in real life. In particular, I would like to print the surface on the right of Figure 1.

To do this I would need to print two parts:
a) A single (hollow) volume, representing the space between the surface in Figure 1 and the floor. This piece will be used as a scaffolding for constructing the surface.
b) All of the faces of the surface. As you can see, there are about 100 pieces. I will then assemble the pieces into the structure shown in Figure 1.

Can this be done using shapeways? Can I upload the pieces as a single .obj file containing disconnected volumes? Is there a way of easily labeling each piece (to ease putting the surface together afterwards)?
Re: Printing a surface made up of thin faces [message #55008 is a reply to message #54913 ] Sun, 07 October 2012 19:06 UTC Go to previous message
avatar JACANT  is currently offline JACANT
Go to my shop
What size did you actually want? Is it a scaled model?
The maximum 'Bounding Box' for SWF is 660 x 350 x 550mm
Have you got a .obj file of the structure?

jacantdesign@gmail.com

Previous Topic:Why is this cube so exspensive
Next Topic:HELP - Sketch up - Manifold edge issue.

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.