A Voronoi Halloween

Discussion in 'My Work In Progress' started by bluelinegecko, Oct 3, 2012.

1. bluelinegecko
    bluelinegecko Well-Known Member
  2. I like it!
    It would be cool to add a hole on the bottom so you could set it over a votive candle.

3. Cool Idea, and I concur about making a hole for a candle.

I'm curious, what software are you using to get that "woven?" effect?

4. bluelinegecko
    Thanks for the feedback. I thought about the candle idea, but the problem would be keeping it from catching on fire. Due to the thickness of the wires that makes up the model the only material it can be made in at this size (about 4 inches wide) is the strong and flexible nylon material. The flame from a candle placed inside would easily melt the plastic. I guess I could scale it down a bit for having it made in silver but the cost would probably still be extremely high. One option would be to use an electronic LED style tea light. I can definitely add a hole at the bottom, or one could cut their own hole (or a jack-o'lantern face) in the model by just snipping the individual wires.

I had a tombstone modeled up, as well as one with a jack-o'lantern face, but they were rejected when I went to order them. I have to increase the wire thickness and try reordering them. I successfully ordered both these models pictured though and will post pics when i get them.

I more or less followed the following tutorial using meshlab to make the voronoi "woven" effect. I must have crashed the program about 100 times but i finally figured out a combination to get everything to work.

http://meshlabstuff.blogspot.com/2009/03/creating-voronoi-sp here.html

5. I bet the printer would blow up trying to print it. From a Meshlab tutorial?

6. bluelinegecko
    Well, Hurricane Sandy and it's impact on Shapeways prevented me from getting these pictures posted and updated in time fo Halloween, but I thought I'd get the up not. Got these two in in Polished WSF. Very happy with how they turned out. My camera has issues trying to focus and doesn't do the models justice. Would be real cool if Shapeways added Orange as a color for the WSF Nylon. I gave one of these away but might try dying the other.

P1030127.JPG

Last edited: Dec 8, 2012
  7. bluelinegecko
    And a picture for scale. Both models are identical in the basic shape. The difference in the models and pricing is how dense the mesh is that makes up the shape..
    P1030137.JPG

8. mkroeker
    mkroeker Well-Known Member
    Very nice.
    I cannot help but notice that 'Chinese lantern'/'Cape gooseberry' husks (Physalis) decay to just such a
    Voronoi pattern "in the wild" - but this might be where you got the idea from in the first place ?