Home » Community » General Discussion » Full Color Sandstone upload Fail
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Full Color Sandstone upload Fail [message #54815] Wed, 03 October 2012 18:37 UTC Go to next message
avatar MikeP  is currently offline MikeP
Go to my shop
This is incredibly annoying.

I'm trying to upload a model to print in Full Color Sandstone.

I save a .Wrl from 3dMax and a .jpg from Photoshop.

Zip them together (both in the same windows folder) and upload. I've done this four or five times before.

And almost immediately I get some painfully inaccurate message from shapeways telling me "uh oh, you need to give your model more love" and that I've failed to include the texture.

Well I havent!

Its right there in the zip file. A 256x256 8 bit jpeg.

So I've tried various different configurations, i've resized the texture, but nothing seems to work. I keep getting this infuriating "oh oh" message. (It wouldnt be so annoying if it was correct, why do they have to include such inane language???). Shapeways for some reason cant extract the files from my Zip file.

Can someone PLEASE tell me how to fix this?

Thanks!

[Updated on: Wed, 03 October 2012 18:41 UTC]

Re: Full Color Sandstone upload Fail [message #54816 is a reply to message #54815 ] Wed, 03 October 2012 18:50 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar mkroeker  is currently offline mkroeker
Go to all my models
Well, does your WRL file alone upload correctly ? If so, does it when you zip it (without adding a texture file) ?
That should help clarify if it is something about the model, or some zip format or option issue. (Which zip software
are you using - perhaps it is using some fairly new compression algorithm that the extractor on the shapeways side
cannot handle ?)
Re: Full Color Sandstone upload Fail [message #54817 is a reply to message #54815 ] Wed, 03 October 2012 18:52 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
I work here
I'd try emailing service to see if they can figure out what's going on. They should be able to troubleshoot what's going on, on the SW side, and get the messaged fixed seeing there is definitely a flaw in the message.

The Mad Moder
michael@shapeways.com
Re: Full Color Sandstone upload Fail [message #54818 is a reply to message #54817 ] Wed, 03 October 2012 18:54 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Yup. Its the inaccurate message that makes it impossible to fix the problem. Except just trying random changes. And there's nothing about texture sizes or bit depths in the tutorials.

I sent a message to Service as well.
Re: Full Color Sandstone upload Fail [message #54819 is a reply to message #54816 ] Wed, 03 October 2012 19:07 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
mkroeker wrote on Wed, 03 October 2012 18:50

Well, does your WRL file alone upload correctly ? If so, does it when you zip it (without adding a texture file) ?
That should help clarify if it is something about the model, or some zip format or option issue. (Which zip software
are you using - perhaps it is using some fairly new compression algorithm that the extractor on the shapeways side
cannot handle ?)

I think it uploads correctly by itself... but if I Zip it and upload without a texture I get the "uh oh" message (because there's no texture.)

If I upload it unzipped as a lone .wrl file it says there's problems but doesn't specify what. (.wrl files have to be zipped?)

If I upload the model as a .stl file its fine and shows up in my account which means the model is okay.

Re: Full Color Sandstone upload Fail [message #54820 is a reply to message #54819 ] Wed, 03 October 2012 20:51 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar mkroeker  is currently offline mkroeker
Go to all my models
WRL should work fine without zipping. Either the wrl version of your model contains some bug that is
not in the stl (you are not using the ancient vrml 1.0 variant by any chance ?), or the model is so complex
that the converter times out. (And that uh-oh thinggy is just a "something went wrong but we cannot tell
exactly what" default message.)
Anyway, now that CS is involved, it should be resolved soon.
Re: Full Color Sandstone upload Fail [message #54822 is a reply to message #54820 ] Wed, 03 October 2012 21:16 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stonysmith  is currently offline stonysmith
Go to my shop
Some programs that write out WRLs include the full path of the JPG in the file name.
One of the tutorials discusses this. WRL (VRML) is simply a text file.. open the file with Notepad or some other text editor, and find the reference to the JPG. Make sure that the file name does not include a path such as c:\users\whaterver\documents\...\texture.jpg but rather that it only refers to texture.jpg

Save the WRL and put it and the JPG into the same Zip file together.. see if that will upload correctly.

Patience, Persistance, Politeness - the 3Ps will help us get us to Perfect Printed Products
Re: Full Color Sandstone upload Fail [message #54824 is a reply to message #54822 ] Wed, 03 October 2012 21:43 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
stonysmith wrote on Wed, 03 October 2012 21:16

Some programs that write out WRLs include the full path of the JPG in the file name.
One of the tutorials discusses this. WRL (VRML) is simply a text file.. open the file with Notepad or some other text editor, and find the reference to the JPG. Make sure that the file name does not include a path such as c:\users\whaterver\documents\...\texture.jpg but rather that it only refers to texture.jpg

Save the WRL and put it and the JPG into the same Zip file together.. see if that will upload correctly.

Thank you! And thanks to all who responded.

I opened the .wrl in Notepad and immediately found it still referring to the original .psd rather then the .jpg, so i went back to max, changed the file and re-exported the .wrl and its fine and working now.

Thanks!

[Updated on: Wed, 03 October 2012 21:43 UTC]

Re: Full Color Sandstone upload Fail [message #54842 is a reply to message #54824 ] Thu, 04 October 2012 08:52 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar MitchellJetten  is currently offline MitchellJetten
Go to all my models
I work here
Hi Mike,

Seems that my reply on your email is a bit too late Smile

Stony explained already what was going on Smile

Your model was looking for this:

"texture ImageTexture {
url "../maps/texture1.psd"

Instead of:

texture ImageTexture {
url "chi_logo_texture.jpg" (not sure if that was the correct name:P )

Kind regards,

Mitchell Jetten
Customer Service Coordinator
Shapeways
Re: Full Color Sandstone upload Fail [message #54948 is a reply to message #54842 ] Fri, 05 October 2012 21:43 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar AlanHudson  is currently offline AlanHudson
Go to my shop
I work here
I wanted to tell you about a change I'm making to the texture file handling which I hope helps.

Currently if the vrml file has a full path in with c:\ it will fail with an exit code 2 which is Invalid Format. VRML doesn't allow DOS style slashes in its URLs. If I detect those I'm going to just strip the whole path and only leave the texture name. So if it was: c:\mymodel\fish.jpg it will be fish.jpg This won't help if you didn't actually include the texture of course. I've seen enough cases where this would of fixed things that I'll make the change.

I'm also working on getting the exact missing texture name out to the emails as well but that won't make it in next weeks release. Ideally it would list all missing textures at once but it's likely I'll only be able to print the first failing as we stop processing the file then.

Director 3D Tools
Re: Full Color Sandstone upload Fail [message #55265 is a reply to message #54948 ] Fri, 12 October 2012 17:19 UTC Go to previous message
Go to my shop
Nice. Thanks. That will certainly help in the future

Of course now i'm aware of the prob... i can avoid it.

Previous Topic:Scanning bureau in London
Next Topic:3D View