Home » Support » 3D Printing » Threaded holes created in Alibre
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Threaded holes created in Alibre [message #54667] Sun, 30 September 2012 17:29 UTC Go to next message
avatar longhaulgear  is currently offline longhaulgear
Go to all my models
I'm extremely new to 3D modelling and 3D printing.

I created a model in Alibre Design, which includes a number of threaded holes. In Alibre's documentation it says that while you don't see the threading on the render, it's included in the design data.

I exported from Alibre to an .stl file and uploaded to shapeways. The shapeways preview likewise shows smooth holes, not threaded holes. If I order a piece, will my holes be threaded or not?

Thanks
Tom
Re: Threaded holes created in Alibre [message #54681 is a reply to message #54667 ] Sun, 30 September 2012 21:36 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar JACANT  is currently offline JACANT
Go to my shop
Get yourself a copy of http://www.netfabb.com/basic.php
Open your stl in this. WYSIWYG from Shapeways, you can zoom right in.
You can check, repair, measure and scale your file.

jacantdesign@gmail.com
Re: Threaded holes created in Alibre [message #55780 is a reply to message #54667 ] Mon, 22 October 2012 21:52 UTC Go to previous message
avatar VeryWetPaint  is currently offline VeryWetPaint
Go to my shop
No, the holes won't be threaded.

Alibre keeps track of that information for the sake of design drawings and bills-of-materials, but it's not capable of generating actual screw threads; any holes will be simple smooth-sided bores. If you want threads you'll either have to cut them into the finished part or create the contours yourself via the Helical Cut tool.

Previous Topic:What material to use for painting?
Next Topic:Printing Silver - production questions