Hollowing made more expensive?

Discussion in 'Design and Modeling' started by 208883_deleted, Aug 25, 2012.

1. I have a model with 5 main solid components. The cost to print is $91.86.

I didn't need the components solid, so I hollowed them out leaving some spanning areas, probably removing around 25%-50% of the material. I uploaded it and now the hollowed version costs $96.48 to print!

Any ideas how this happened?

Both models look correct, I thought maybe there was an error with the solid model that wasn't properly counting a section, but everything looks fine.

2. I tried just rearranging the parts, literally just moving them closer together, and that dropped the price to $63, which seems in line with my expectations.

I've read and assume that the bounding box of the parts doesn't matter for pricing, so I'm guessing there is just an error in the file that caused it to misreport occasionally.

Before posting this I condensed the parts even more, and shaved $.02 off :p

3. stannum
    stannum Well-Known Member
    Bounding box doesn't matter... in most cases.

When above 20cm3 of WSF material, it matters: you pay half price for the cm3 above 20 (23 will cost like non discounted 21.5) if the bounding box is less than 10 times the material used.

PS: The pricing formula had a bug, so beware, it can look ilogical at first glance. The report was... somewhere...

4. That would explain it! I wish I had known to start with, I think that information should have been more obvious.

Thanks!