Stainless Steel pushed to limit

Discussion in 'My Shapeways Order Arrived' started by lensman, May 15, 2012.

1. lensman
    lensman Well-Known Member
    I was recently commissioned to produce a pendant for a clothing company and came up with the below. I had it printed in stainless steel and (inadvertantly!) pushed the limits of s/steel printing regarding the text areas... Sorry, but I didn't take a before picture; the pendant arrived with all kinds of what seemed to be organic "bits" jammed into the lettering which I had to dig out with a superfine needle point, and then I polished the front and back with a Dremel.

While I certainly wouldn't deliberately design the lettering this size again I'm quite happy that it printed almost 100% correctly. The pendant is 2" in height.

Glenn

note-anchor-finished-back.jpg

2. stonysmith
    stonysmith Well-Known Member Moderator
    That's Nice! What's the story behind it.

3. lensman
    lensman Well-Known Member
  4. 20201_deleted
    20201_deleted Member
    The "organic bits" are in fact corn cob tumbling media. This is granulated corn cob treated, with jewelers rouge and used for producing the final hi polish. This media has a tendency to become trapped in tight places. Yes, it is a booger to remove, but there really is no substitute in production finishing methods. Sewing needles or a fresh #10 Exacto blade are favored for removal of this stuff.
    -G