"Solid" vs "Enclosed"

Discussion in 'Materials' started by 31629_deleted, Feb 24, 2012.

1. 31629_deleted
    31629_deleted Member
    I recently uploaded a 2" dia x 2" long cylinder with an indentation across the top of it. As a solid object, it priced at about $50. I then redid it as a hollow cylinder (1/16" thick walls). SURPRISE! No change in price???

But then when I put a 1/2" dia hole in the base, the price dropped to only $17.

Does this mean that I would pay for the powder INSIDE the object (because it had no way of escaping when removed from the printer), even though the FUSED material that makes up the object walls is considerably less volume?

Do I always need to provide a "port" for hollow objects and what is minimum size? If 1/2", are two 1/4" holes on opposite sides the same thing?

Also: if I ordered several odds and ends, but you could print only ONE of them... which would it be? (sorry, had a bad humor attack...)

VERY much enjoying your products and services, by the way! Thanks a lot!

Maranatha

RMc

2. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    Exactly. The software will automatically remove internal geometry that is not connected to the outside, which is why it came to be the same price. The software removed the hollow inside.

3. stannum
    stannum Well-Known Member
    In some materials you can make a tiny hole so the software detects it but the material gets trapped anyway.

4. 31629_deleted
    31629_deleted Member
    Hmmmm.... I'm puzzled. Since the model was originally created via AutoCAD as a hollow object and then exported as a *.stl file for upload, how do I tell the software NOT to fill it back in (by deleting internal voids)? Is simply adding a small hole enough to "connect" the interior void to the exterior shell? And if the hole is so small that the material trapped within can't be flushed out, do you still pay for the full volume, or only the material that was hardened during the printing process? Just looking for the most cost efficient means.

Thanks.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2012