Orrery Arrived Safely

Discussion in 'My Shapeways Order Arrived' started by Whystler, Apr 6, 2009.

1. Whystler
    Whystler Member
    Here are some pics of the Orrery I recieved today. Everything moves nicely as planned. . Now I have it sitting in a tea bath to see what it looks like stained. I'll post stained pics later, but in the meantime, here are pics of the Orrery in White Detail Material:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In case you're wondering, an Orrery is a working model of the planets. This one features the terrestrial planets only: mercury, venus, earth w/ moon, and mars. All the planets are the right size in relation to each other. The sun is greatly reduced in size, The orbital distances are in the proper order, but are not in accurate relational sizes. If they were accurately sized orbit, then this orrery, would take up 10 acres :)

Something funky happened with Mars. If you look in the last pic, you'll see that it is somehow higher that the other planets. I think it got slightly bent in shipping. It was level in the model, and it's orbit was further away from earth. I'll be tweaking the model a bit before putting it up for sale. Maybe the tweaks will help this not to happen again.

-Whystler

Last edited: Apr 6, 2009
  2. Whystler
    Whystler Member
    Here is the Orrery after soaking in a tea dye bath. I have also painted the celestial bodies with metalic acrylics. This really helps with identification. It was hard to see the smaller planets before. Now I understand why the planets in many orreries are coloured.

sun = bronze

mercury = silver

venus = light gold

earth = blue metalic

earth's moon = white pearlescent paint

mars = copper

[​IMG]

Oh, by the way ... the arrangement of planets in this picture are where they stand in the real solar system as of me writing this now!

-Whystler

Last edited: Apr 7, 2009
  3. 15837_deleted
    15837_deleted Member
    What can I say, AWSOME!!! Beautiful design and lovely post-processing.

About the bent planet. I've had similar problems with shippings from Shapeways. The shipping of my Voronoi Candle bent it quite severely but I somehow managed to bend it back. It's the only drawback of shapeways that I've had so far. But maybe they shipped your model in a different way? Or was ít strapped to a cardboard with plastic as well? Cause that could cause serious damage to a model like yours. Mine was, after all, fairly solid.