First Shapeways Order

Discussion in 'My Shapeways Order Arrived' started by rawkstar320, Mar 28, 2009.

1. rawkstar320
    rawkstar320 Member
    First off, Shapways is a way cool company.

I got my first order today, and I was very impressed.

This is the 3 Speed Transmission that I made:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The quality of the pictures is kinda bad...but the detail of the transmission is way cool!! Its a bummer that the shafts arent able to spin... I left .25mm on each side of the shaft. so, .5mm total. ( 3mm shaft in a 3.5mm hole) I think that just is too close. I did revise it and re upload it so that i have .5mm of clearance all the way around. Ill hafta order it again when I get some more money together. haha.

And here is some of the Engagement rings that I have been working on:
    Twist Style Ring
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Twist Style Ring with a Transparent Detail 5.2mm Diamond
    [​IMG]

Single Diamond Ring
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And Finally,

A mini guitar that I did NOT model. Its from aeron203, I just needed to finish my $25min order and I like guitars..so I picked this guy out....
    [​IMG]

The guitars on the inside of it dont move..but the WD material is transparent enough that you can actually see them. Way cool....

So yeah, back to work at getting some more models together, and I will be putting another order together sometime soon. My dad and I are actually working on an 'invention' thing and we will need some parts.

Thanks Shapeways!! This is amazing!

2. Whystler
    Whystler Member
    That looks like a great order! I love it all.

Yes, .25 mm is too small of a gap clearance in the SWF material. note: .5 mm is *also* too small.

By clearance I mean the space between one wall and another. For axels, clearance = the radius of the inside of a tube minus the radius of the outside of a cylinder within the tube.

Check out this thread where folks are talking about clearance, and look particularly at the posts jdavidbush by . He has some great experiments and results that tell you exactly what clearance you need for each material:

https://www.shapeways.com/forum/index.php?t=msg&th=775&am p;start=0&S=b25be71f76dd688fb3da3a4e291b09d5

-Whystler

Last edited: Mar 28, 2009
  3. rawkstar320
    rawkstar320 Member
    Right, that is .5mm on both sides of the axel. And on the revised model, I added slots around the holes so that material could be removed easier. So that should help.

It looks like, if i had it printed in white detail it might work though. (from the that topic about clearances)

We'll see, I gotta save up some money, and maybe ill order it again.