Stainless Dice Questions

Discussion in 'Finishing Techniques' started by 126801_deleted, Jan 11, 2012.

1. I just received my stainless steel D&D dice. They look great but have what look like large grains wedged in some of the spaces. Is there a technique for getting these out or is it just the nature of the system.

Also is it safe to assume the SS is waterproof? I do plan on using these in D&D...

*Edit: Got my answer from the guy who designed the dice.*

Last edited: Jan 11, 2012
  2. avandius
    avandius Member
    Hello Titeman,

That's a normal process, there are various ways to clean them out. I use a very thin needle and poke them all out. They are also waterproof and can be washed to your hearts content.

There is likely a better way to clean them up with some sort of solvent, but for now, I recommend using a needle. :)

Cheers,
    Gythawen

3. What was the answer? I have 8 prints to clean & the needle approach is super slow going. Thx!

4. avandius
    avandius Member
  5. I have had a good bit of success using a set of dental picks. If you are not a DIY nut like me and don't have a set, they can be had for around 5$ from Amazon

6. avandius
    avandius Member
    I'm going to check that out! Too many hand cramps from the needle method..

7. Thx loads for the answers! I'll try the dentist pick next time to try to spare my fingers!

8. Magic
    Magic Well-Known Member
    Dental pick... Good idea. I am still using needle. See this video...

9. 20201_deleted
    20201_deleted Member
    Yes, this is a real PITA!
    What you are seeing on/in your parts is actually a specially treated, ground corn cob . It produces the final high shine on all SS parts. The finishing machinery generates a high pressure tumbling action and there is no way around having some cob residue finding it's way into tight crevices. There is no "solvent" for this that would not also attack the metal (in a bad way) in fact any liquid will make things worse because the cob expands when wet. Try a #10 Exacto blade, better than a needle or dental pick.
    -G