1:76 Austin Maestro

Discussion in 'My Shapeways Order Arrived' started by paulburkittgray, Dec 12, 2011.

1. [​IMG]

My OO scale model of an Austin Maestro turned up today. It can be printed in either FD or FUD. I've ordered the FD version first on the basis that if it works in that material, it will definitely work in FUD.

[​IMG]

The model consists of the body, chassis, wheels, headlamps and tail lamps as separate pieces.

[​IMG]

3D printing means the interior can include a details like the steering wheel and open headrests.

[​IMG]

It has printed very well, though of course it will benefit from some careful sanding and painting to smooth the surface.

[​IMG]

For the photos I have done a dry run assembly without any glue, and haven't put the lights in place to avoid any chance of losing them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The model's page in my shop is here. There's also various other versions, including the car in HO and N scales, with metal rather than plastic bumpers, as well as a model of the Maestro van.

Paul

2. noc146
    noc146 Member
    Well done on this. I wonder what the difference between FD and FUD will be? The FD looks perfectly good in the photos. Any recommendations for painting? Do post photos of the finished item. I will definitely be buying one of these.

Looking forward to seeing more 1:76 scale vehicles from this period soon.

3. Bunrattypark, the FUD version has thinner walls around the windows, so the glazing will be closer to flush and more realistic looking. The smoother surface with FUD also means it will need a bit less work when sanding and painting.

With regards to painting, I'm using the car to test Halfords car spray paints on printed models. If they work I'll also use them on my 1995 stock tube train.

I've given the car a first coat of paint, which helps show the areas that need more sanding, and shows the shape better in photos.

[​IMG]

There's some layering noticeable on the roof and bonnet, but nothing beyond what a bit of painting and sanding can sort out.

[​IMG]

For the body I'm using white primer and for the interior grey, to best match the intended final colours.

[​IMG]

Unfortunately, the steering wheel fell off while I was cleaning the model. I'll have to include a replacement in my next order, and perhaps add a spare into the model on Shapeways.

Paul

4. With a few more coats of paint the rough surface of the plastic has been mostly smoothed out.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After a bit of sanding it should be ready for the coloured paint - I'm planning on bright red.

Paul

5. The Maestro has now been painted in bright boy-racer red, using a spraycan from Halfords.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Once it's had a full 24 hours to dry I can start painting the interior and the various external details.

Paul

6. TreadshotA1
    TreadshotA1 Member
    Wow, this looks great. Could you tell me how large this is? By that I mean, a size comparison pic, perhaps next to...a hot wheels car? It's hard to picture size from just measurements.

The car itself though looks great. It looks very realistic and...well I don't know how you can managed to sculpt such an intricate care shape. Wish I could do that. :)

7. 63022_deleted
    63022_deleted Member
    What software did you use to model the Maestro, it looks fantastic.

Did you go off a real car, plans or a model?

8. [​IMG]

Treadshot A1 and jmrben, many thanks for your compliments.

Treadshot, I'm afraid all my toy cars are in a box in the garage. I know this is still measurements, but hopefully it will give you a better idea of the size. If you're into model railways, 1:76 is OO, the most common scale in the UK, and very close to HO / 1:87, the most common scale in Europe and the US.

jmrben, I used Blender to design the model, working from some fairly basic plans I found on the net and lot of photos. I don't think I've seen a real Maestro around for quite a few years now.

Paul

Last edited: Dec 22, 2011
  9. stop4stuff
    stop4stuff Well-Known Member
    Hey Paul,

Your Maestro is looking good!
    The last one I had my hands on was my father's which he gave to me when it's computer died - so I broke it for spares, I believe I still have a few parts buried in my garage.

FUD is amazing for OO scale detail.

Paul

10. 9694_deleted
    9694_deleted Member
    @stop4stuff That must have been pretty cool. :)

@paulburk Great work! I'm loving the paint job.

11. noc146
    noc146 Member
    Looking excellent, well done!

Can you give us specific information on the paint used? I have had horrendous difficulty painting WSF models, and I'd love to know just what paint you used here. What is the spray paint, is it acrylic, or cellulose, or enamel, or something else?

Many thanks...

12. Stop4stuff, ana and Bunrattypark, thanks for your compliments.

Stop4stuff, this print is actually FD, the detail will hopefully be even sharper on FUD versions.

Bunrattypark, I'm using Halfords car spray paints, which were recommended to me by several other railway modellers. According to the internet they are acrylic, though they don't say so anywhere on the cans or the Halfords website. Specifically, the white and grey undercoats were Halfords Plastic Primer, and the red is Halfords Vauxhall Flame Red, chosen as a close match to London Underground red for my tube train.

Paul