Totally Clear Material

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 82701_deleted, Sep 28, 2011.

1. 82701_deleted
    82701_deleted Member
    Hi, I was wondering what hurdles there are when it comes to printing totally clear objects and if it is currently being worked on.

2. stop4stuff
    stop4stuff Well-Known Member
    Hi Tarantulasoup (love the username :))

Welcome to Shapeways! :)

There are some totally clear 3D print systems out there, unfortunately the nearest you'll get via Shapeways is Frosted Ultra Detail, and then you will need to polish the model to increase clarity.

Paul

3. Alex_ADEdge
    Alex_ADEdge Member
    Yeh Ive been hoping that a clear material will be added soon but I havent seen anything posted by the team about such a material.
    Would be very handy for printing many different types of objects that have glass/clear components.

I'll be doing some prints with transparent detail and frosted detail soon to see if they can be used as a slightly opaque material for glass visors etc.
    Just worried about the strength of frosted detail given that its the most transparent material and im wondering if the transparency and colour of transparent detail will be any good given that it seems to be a muddy cream colour.
    Will be interesting to see how they turn out however!

4. stop4stuff
  5. Alex_ADEdge
    Alex_ADEdge Member
    Whoa, cheers for the example. That should work quite nicely for what Im after. :)

6. billy57
    billy57 Member
    There are also quite a few of us doing railway models and the like, and a clear material for windows, etc., would be a huge benefit here.

What happened to the transparent detail material? Has it been withdrawn?

7. stop4stuff
    Transparent detail is still available. I'm pretty sure there's automatic checks on bounding box dimensions and some materials will not be available if the bounding box is too small.

8. BillBedford
    BillBedford Member
    It may be better to talk to Brian Hanson at Shawplan

9. 65166_deleted
    65166_deleted Member
    Hey, the major hurdle to the transparent material I've looked into is in post processing. The transparent materials I've seen need support for downfacing surfaces. The support leaves a layer of film on the model. So the upfacing surfaces are glossy and transparent, the downfacing are mirky.

You can polish away the mirkiness, but that increases the cost of labor dramatically (and thus the price of the material).

We are still researching though! But I wanted to give you some insight into what we've looked into so far and what the issues are.

10. lensman
    lensman Well-Known Member
    i.competitive service has a "clear" acrylic (and maybe Ponoko?) but they are more expensive than Shapeways...

Glenn

11. 82701_deleted
    82701_deleted Member
    Thanks Nancy and everyone else for the input, I always look forward to new developments at Shapeways!