Shipping charges on $26.50 order

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by braingram, Sep 26, 2011.

1. braingram
    braingram Member
    I recently placed an order which totaled $26.50 and just heard from UPS that they want $158.82 in shipping. I live in the Boston area and did not expect to be charged for shipping (as per the FAQ).

How do I go about challenging this charge? If I don't pay the shipping will I just be out the $26.50? Has anyone else ran into this problem? If so, wtf?

Last edited: Sep 26, 2011
  2. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    :eek: I haven't heard of any odd charges in the US, especially not that outrageous. I'd contact support to see what could be going on.

3. lensman
    lensman Well-Known Member
    No, something VERY wrong there. I hate UPS but even I don't think they are THAT much into robbery :eek:

To answer the second part of your question: *IF* that charge is correct then, yes, refusing delivery means you won't have to pay (I've seen messages here to that effect).

Glenn

4. braingram
    braingram Member
    I wanted to update this post with what happened. After several emails to Shapeways support I was never provided with a tracking number to place the package on hold. So, UPS attempted delivery 3 times (requesting the shipping charges each time), and then returned the package to the Shapeways NY office. Shapeways then re-shipped the package to me and I received the order without having to pay the ludicrous shipping charges.

Overall Shapeways support was helpful, but I was frustrated that I was not given a tracking number, or told that the package was returned to Shapeways NY until AFTER I received the package.

5. lensman
    lensman Well-Known Member
    And how was it re-shipped - via UPS again? If so, I wonder why you didn't have to pay any fees?

Glenn

6. mctrivia
    mctrivia Well-Known Member
    because he lives in the us and they shipped from the US.

7. baltimore
    baltimore Member
    i wonder why they wanted money in the first place if it was US to US.

I had to pay UPS only one time, but that was on a large order that was shipped from over seas, a while ago.