Shapeways and Blender

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by markpicone, Sep 20, 2011.

1. markpicone
    markpicone Member
    I'm using Blender, I created a model and added color to it but I don't have an export format for it . Does anyone use Blender that give me the appropriate steps to create a model that will be printed using color sandstone?

mark

2. markpicone
    markpicone Member
    yea, it says in the instructions to export as a VRML for the color sandstone material but the newer version doesn't have that format. It has;
    .stl
    .3DS
    .fbx
    .obj
    .x3d

I modeled a pretty simple object that has 5 basic colors of the rainbow. I'm trying to post it to my shop to offer it as a color piece.

Attached Files:

3. Try the Wavefront OBJ extension.
    Shapeways should accept OBJ files,
    and for some reason I don't get the VRML extension to work. :-/

4. markpicone
    markpicone Member
    Ok, Have you created a color sandstone piece recently?

5. AlanHudson
    AlanHudson Shapeways Employee Dev Team
    I don't know Blender well so I can't help with why VRML isn't available. But I do know the backend supports color in both the VRML and X3D file formats. So try X3D.

6. markpicone
    markpicone Member
    Yes, thanks. .x3d was the answer. Using UVs that is. I thought you can do 'per face' coloring to save from the whole uv stuff and zipping files. I can't get Blender to display colors using that method. For now I'll just do UVs. It's supposed to give you more detail which is always good:)

7. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    Well if you split the map yourself, you could break it so that each side was it's own element in the UV map. I know it's possible in blender, but I never had the patients to figure it out :p

8. lensman
    lensman Well-Known Member
    I have minimal experience with Blender but I do know that it doesn't ship with all extensions available - you have to go somewhere on the Blender site and do something (helpful, ain't I?) and choose what extensions you'd like to enable.

Or perhaps it was just a matter of accessing some part of the programme itself to enable them...?

Glenn