Vinyl record wall mount with little birds

Discussion in 'My Shapeways Order Arrived' started by 56814_deleted, Sep 10, 2011.

1. 56814_deleted
    56814_deleted Member
    Birds_small.jpg
    My prints arrived a long time ago, but without a proper rotary hammer I wasn't able to drill the necessary holes in the wall. Not so any longer!
    FourLP_small.jpg

While I'm quite content with the quality of the prints, the quality of the design has some room for improvement. The U-profiles should be a bit bigger/stronger so they flex less.
    Basic_clip_small.jpg

The idea for the birds is shamelessly copied from the well known egg-nest-cups. Now that I know the concept of the clips works I can design other bits of 'flair' to add to the next batch of mounts (there's a whole lot of wall still left to fill up!)
    Birds_side_small.jpg

2. duann
    duann Member
    SWEET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. MitchellJetten
    MitchellJetten Shapeways Employee CS Team
    This is what 3D printing is meant for!

customizing stuff which you really use!

So cool man!

4. lensman
    lensman Well-Known Member
    Excellent idea... and there are so many music related icons you could use for the clips.

...I must have about 60 of my old vinyl albums still, but probably not enough space to hang them all!

Glenn

5. 56814_deleted
    56814_deleted Member
    Slow progress, but I found some time for a second piece of decoration. The print turned out better than I dared expect.

notes1.jpg

The model needs a bit of tweaking, because I think one of the notes might have fallen off somewhere in the production process. I hadn't quite taken the flexibility of the 'lines' into account. Furthermore, the whole model needs some pre-bend upwards to compensate the effects of gravity and better match the model to the record behind it.

By combining these small models with some larger orders for work, I can do some cheap but cute home decorating! I really like the print quality of these small items!