I invented a machine which will experimentally generate STL files!!!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 76244_deleted, Jul 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 76244_deleted
    76244_deleted Member
    All, my name is John Ladd and I was the creative imaging R&D lead at the top imaging company in the world. I recently created a device that I imagine you will all be using soon! It will allow you to cheaply scan and create STL files for Shapeways that no other instrument in the world can render. Two months away and you guys will have your first units!

www.romansystemsengineering.com

Enjoy!

P.S. We are currently trying to dispatch some talks with an investment firm (looks like we might be able to fund the whole operation ourselves) to get the product out sooner. If you do forward the link to your distribution lists it will definitely help us achieve a quicker turn (by better equipment etc). Thanks for your help guys!

Last edited: Jul 25, 2011
  2. mctrivia
    mctrivia Well-Known Member
    funny site worth the laugh

3. 76244_deleted
    76244_deleted Member
    Go ahead and laugh. It has been defended upon top ten electromagnetic university in the United States, is partnered with the best imaging company in the world, we are mentored by the top ten U.S. patent holder, and I own inventions to the uno pixel (12 billion dollar revenue), the concentric (dominates DSLR space), and the internal reset (billion dollars in revenue).

Keep on laughing. My patents in 2004 dominate these spaces in 2011. I don't think you know what it takes to get top engineering award out of 2000 engineering students and be ranked in the top 2% in R&D in Silicon Valley.

Keep on laughing...by the way, that guy who is second in my company (Dr. Sergey Prokushkin), was the first to successfully predict the collapse of the Universe.

Keep on laughing...

4. mctrivia
    There is nothing scientific on your site. it is just cute junk. If it works link the magazines, and tell us something meaningful. I know many ways to make a scanner.

P.S. will work as a flask coment makes me think you are not serious.

5. 76244_deleted
    76244_deleted Member
    I guess you missed the 'xray" type features of this invention. I worked with laser 3d scanner companies and this can do things that they can't. At our 3d laser prototyping center (very high tech 80k machine) in Ann Arbor Engineering facility, it couldn't fully image a flower. Can you image the cavity of a crouton? My machine can.

Watch the engineering presentation (video 2) and the "crouton test" (video 3) and think again...

You think a group of Phds are this stupid (from Stanford etc)? Do you think the CEO of Aptina is stupid? We performed demo for these technology leaders in San Jose.

Keep on laughing. Your 3d laser scanner is going to get worked by a machine for much cheaper and can give accurate full color 3d color surface information along with porousity and cavity mapping. I have 8 years of lead imaging design experience and 30 imaging patents.

6. 76244_deleted
    76244_deleted Member
    Regarding your flask comment, a water bottle or flask is something people have been willing to (and probably always will) carry around. It is a fluid based system that has a large fluid reservoir. Yes people can drink from it--why not? Yes, they can be combined in hour-glass form and do a 3d liquid displacement scan. And yes, they can penetrate where photons can't. I am dead serious. Of course I have traditional color imaging modules in the vertices and am performing 3d image fusion to get the color surface information.

Alcohol is actually a good replacement (has right viscosity properties) for fluorinert as a scanning medium (good evaporation to avoid probe hysterisis etc). I personally would carry around something on the hip that is a 3d tape measure, can do joint directional power transmissions, can image the interior and exterior world, and can do a virtual "xray" into cavities and pores and kick out accurate 3d surround images to import to PC's and convert to STL files. It is theoretically proven, patented, and will be in production very soon. Don't be so quick to look at an engineering presentation (where Phd candidates worked for months and dismiss it).

7. 95399_deleted
    95399_deleted Member
    What a good idea! :laughing:

8. 76244_deleted
    76244_deleted Member
    Let me ask you something stark. Do you have anything in your home right now that can image (in voxel space), let's say a marker? A red color marker? Do you? No you don't. Wouldn't it be nice? Laught all you want. My volume displacement scanning combined with traditional color imaging (the pixel from the SOC391 which I designed and is the most sensitive in the world https://www.patentgenius.com/inventedby/LaddJohnBoiseID.html)

we will have that system. I am not here to sell the idea, it is done. I was just getting a feeler for the Shapeways community (it is just as weak as the historical forums apparently) where non-engineers can't grasp an engineering technical presentation. We do need to dumb it down for the masses right away.

9. mctrivia
    I would love to see somthing that can do that. however your web site is writen like a joke. here are 8 reasons why:

1) bikini clad models great for selling clothes and cameras. looks like you are trying to catch interest in nothing on this subject

2) "It is the "recluse-book killer" people have been desiring for years. People will wear it on the hip (the same way they wear a tape-measure or an alcohol flask or water bottle) and it will perform both functions, along with density scanning, 3d shape STL generation, geometrically accurate interior and exterior world color imaging that can be uploaded instantly to computers and rendered from any angle on a website (rotated etc), and is absolutely the future." this statement reads like a joke. it is the swiss army knife of scannning. you can even drink your wisky from it,

3) Partners: shapeways(ok I have a shop so that makes me a partner to with shapeways) almost anyone can claim this. you are looking for other partners and list them even though you don't have them. "We wish to pro-actively reach out to Aptina"

4) and the https://www.romansystemsengineering.com/about_us.html I admit I only skimed but seems like meaningless drivel.

5) "defended upon top ten electromagnetic university in the United States" provide refrences.

6) "is partnered with the best imaging company in the world" you don't list who this is here or on your partners page

7) $50 scanners exist: https://store.makerbot.com/makerbot-3d-scanner.html

:cool: how does it see through things you dont explain that? x-rays require huge power sources and are bad for you over long periods, gama radiation requires a radioactive source that though can be safe decays quickly in safe materials. Terahurtz imaging? EMF back scater?

Looks to me like you are trying to get advertising money only and using shapeways name to do it.

10. mctrivia
    "where non-engineers can't grasp an engineering technical presentation" ok but for the enginers here where is the engineering technical presentation?

11. 76244_deleted
    76244_deleted Member
    1) bikini clad models great for selling clothes and cameras. looks like you are trying to catch interest in nothing on this subject

If you are not familiar with Roman art than no need for me to respond. This is a Roman Era discovery.

2) "It is the "recluse-book killer" people have been desiring for years. People will wear it on the hip (the same way they wear a tape-measure or an alcohol flask or water bottle) and it will perform both functions, along with density scanning, 3d shape STL generation, geometrically accurate interior and exterior world color imaging that can be uploaded instantly to computers and rendered from any angle on a website (rotated etc), and is absolutely the future." this statement reads like a joke. it is the swiss army knife of scannning. you can even drink your wisky from it,

It is exaclty that (swiss army knife of imaging). The schematic is there (obviously some sensitive IP is left out).

3) Partners: shapeways(ok I have a shop so that makes me a partner to with shapeways) almost anyone can claim this. you are looking for other partners and list them even though you don't have them. "We wish to pro-actively reach out to Aptina"

Look on "my contacts" list. Gennady Agranov, whom I worked for 8 years, is on it. He is putting me in touch with Riverwood (largest U.S. equity firm and supplying me some of his employees to help. Shapeways was put on their because Christel is going to help me make 10k units, and I wanted to throw her some free advertising. It was her request.

4) and the http://www.romansystemsengineering.com/about_us.html I admit I only skimed but seems like meaningless drivel.

then you have no basis for attacking an idea you didn't study

5) "defended upon top ten electromagnetic university in the United States" provide refrences.

The oral presentation is the reference. I have it in a provisional vault. I could send it to you.

6) "is partnered with the best imaging company in the world" you don't list who this is here or on your partners page

That is because Aptina is not investors, they are owned by Riverwood, so they are giving us indirect help.

7) $50 scanners exist: http://store.makerbot.com/makerbot-3d-scanner.html

how does it see through things you dont explain that? x-rays require huge power sources and are bad for you over long periods, gama radiation requires a radioactive source that though can be safe decays quickly in safe materials. Terahurtz imaging? EMF back scater?

Easy. The crouton absorbs the incredible fluid and displacement level goes down (and this is measured by capacitance probe. Simulations and measurements show that this angled binary solver tree can reproduce the density. it is in the presentation.

12. 76244_deleted
    76244_deleted Member
    As far as trying to get hits goes, it is true we have ads on our page, who doesn't? Just thought it would be fun to talk to some Shapeways users who will benefit greatly from my product. It is amazing to see throughout history how slow people are to catch on to a new idea. The news media hasn't even quite went with it yet, but the superstring theorists, the physicsts, and the engineers get it. What a disconnect.

13. mctrivia
    is the object to go inside? i capacitance sensing and use of resonance frequencies will give you 3d data if you are clever but this would require the object fit inside your tiny device.

would love to see your report and show it to 500 of my engineering colleagues also. I would love to see a be all and end all scanner your web site is just set up to look like ad profit is your only real goal. And it is as such I started reading. If you are serious you may want to change your site. Give information that can be confirmed and drop the ads.

14. mctrivia
    most companies don't run adds. It is those that don't sell anything(information sites) that do. go to any stores site. go to any engineering journals site. none to be seen.

15. 76244_deleted
    76244_deleted Member
    It is true the cavity scanner must be for devices enclosed within the shape. That is why the Romans had sizes ranging from 4cm to 14cm. But that is no different from having small rulers to large yard-sticks. It is a 3d ruler, so it is limited in respect to the size of things it can measure. But the fisheye (center sphere reflector mirror) will image the world (nothing new and special there).

Regarding the marketing theme and ads, a worldwide discovery of this profound nature will fund us into production. Millions upon millions of hits. My marketing guy is the best in San Jose (or one of them). He makes such decisions (not me) and my brother who has a film degree. I rely on their advices. My goal isn't to sell you on the idea. I just was curious what this community was like, and getting some feedback, and appreciate your feedback (even if it is skeptical laughter, I will feed that back to my marketing team).

16. 76244_deleted
    76244_deleted Member
    Making a broad theme first (and not just hammering on a single skeptical crowd) is a spiral onion IP protection strategy. By the time the dust has settled, we will already be in production.

17. 95399_deleted
    95399_deleted Member
    :laughing:
    Who bought the $20 website and found the irrelevent patent. LMAO.

At first I worried it was a hazing routine... a parody of my topic outlining an absurd concept for shapeways-iphone printing.

Now I understand the humor. Very comedic.

18. mctrivia
    well your web site made me think you were doing a gag. What you have written here makes me think it possible though your site has made me skeptical. Obviously I would like to know more useful info of how this should work. Though I doubt I would have a use for it.

1) I can do fish eye scanning of inverse spherical 3d models already with my camera and a parabolic mirror a few well taken shots at high res with a wide angle lens. However I don't. I use my 600mm lens and take several hundread overlaping pics to get really high res images

2) I have no interest in scanning the inside of an object. and genarally i want to scan larger items nor do I care about colour info on my models.

That aside it could be intriguing to see technical info and see if it could work. If it could.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2011
  19. 95399_deleted
    95399_deleted Member
  20. 76244_deleted
    76244_deleted Member
    Yeah but having an accurate interior color image of anything would be excellent (regardless if you care about cavities). Current technology (surround color imaging) suffers from distortion of lens and there is fusion problems with stero imaging. By using liquid (i.e. slant edge) procedure in synergy with the color imagers, a perfectly geometrically corrected (i.e. morphed) color surface image can be created.

Most people don't care about things they don't know they have been missing. In our lab classes we fumbled around with linear rulers trying to measure 3d shapes or take a single color shot from one angle and wish we had the whole thing and could rotate it around on the computer.

I promise you. You will buy my machine. And CSTARK will want one to:)

Think about food scanning. This fluid is inert. Scan a twinkie etc. A lot of cool applications (detect holes etc) for cooking, etc. The Romans had a use for a 3d ruler. And so do we.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.