"Mesh is not sane!" error

Discussion in 'Design and Modeling' started by javelin98, Jul 18, 2011.

1. javelin98
    javelin98 Well-Known Member
    I'm new to this whole 3D design and uploading thing, but I thought I was doing okay with it until a few days ago. I had a design that was uploading just fine until I made a few minor changes. Now when I try to upload it, I get an email saying that there was an error with it. The email simply identifies the error as "Mesh is not sane!" (with the exclamation point and everything).

I haven't found that phrase anywhere on the internet, the Shapeways site, or the Sketchup forums (I'm using the free version of Sketchup 8). Has anyone encountered this error before, and how do I fix it?

Thanks!
    jav98

Last edited: Jul 18, 2011
  2. duann
    duann Member
    Hmm, that does sound a little unusual, that most likely means it is not watertight?

I will check with developers.

Cheers

3. barrys
    barrys Shapeways Employee Dev Team
    In this particular case it gave the error because 2 of the 3 points of a triangle were on the same place, while it assumes that all points of a triangle are on different positions.

You can also see that in meshlab for example when you open the model. It gives a warning:
    Warning mesh contains 0 vertices with NAN coords and 14 degenerated faces.
    Corrected

So apparently meshlab can already fix those and therefor our Meshmedic should fix those as well (I'll suggest that to the developers of our MeshMedic).

The error message is usually returned when the geometry of a model is not correct.

Best,

Barry

4. javelin98
    javelin98 Well-Known Member
    Hmmm... Accutrans doesn't play with Collada files, so that's out. Netfabb only works with STL files. I can't even find a link to the Problem Visualization tool.

MeshLab supposedly fixed the design, but in doing so, it blew the design up to being 3444mm x 3937mm x 1161mm, which is the size of a small car, rather than the 100mm x 62mm x 25mm as it was designed to be. I have no idea how to shrink it back down again, either.