Creator of Cute saying hello :)

Discussion in 'Newcomers Lounge' started by 69775_deleted, Jul 13, 2011.

1. 69775_deleted
    69775_deleted Member
    Hello there :)

I've been a member of the website for a while now and I thought it was finally time to say hello.

Someone from the Shapeways staff came to my university a while back and I've been intrigued by 3D printing ever since. I currently make models for the virtual world Second Life, but I would like to start printing some of my work. My aspiration is to have a small business selling jewelry and accessories.

The things I make are all colorful, cute and whimsical. I'm inserting some examples below. (More examples can be found on my Flickr.)

Darla the Bee

[​IMG]

Rezzanite Power Supply

[​IMG]

Iggy the Snail

[​IMG]

Second Life is only now rolling out support for polygonal meshes. The models I've uploaded so far were made in Autodesk Maya using deformed NURBS spheres, at a maximum of 16x16 isoparms. Therefore, a lot of my characters consist of several different parts. This was a 3D standard created specifically for SL and since I knew nothing of 3D before joining this virtual world, it's the only standard I know and use. I'm now trying to learn more about polygonal modeling. (My background is in audiovisual arts, not 3D animation specifically.)

I'm hoping that I'll be able to print out at least some of my old work by converting it to polygons. I foresee some issues in doing this however, which is why I thought it'd be wise to introduce myself now. When I run into problems, I'll be sure to ask advice from you savvy forum members :D

But for now... Howdy! :)

2. 9694_deleted
    9694_deleted Member
    Hey Anna! Thanks for saying hi.

Which university was it that my coworkers visited you at?

One of the things I often recommend for people who are going from 3D design to 3D printing is to take a close look at the Shapeways design rules. A lot of the time, you have to think about structural integrity in a way that you haven't had to consider in the past. Some materials can handle different types of designs better than others, so if you check things out early on, you'll make a smoother ride for yourself down the line. ;)

Of course, our community is filled with people far more talented than I when it comes to many of these things. It's a wonderful bunch, don't hesitate to ask for help.

See you around!

3. aeron203
    aeron203 Member
    Hello and welcome.

I've heard there is a thriving trade in models in Second Life, but it was their odd "prim" format that prevented me from looking further into it. It is very clever, it's just hard to unlearn the regular polygonal approach.

Your converted models should print just fine since they have very consistent, closed shapes. Hollowing them out to make them cheaper might be a challenge, but with small, color figurines you may want them solid anyway.

I look forward to seeing your results here, and I hope you share them with the Second Life community as well. I'm sure they would be delighted to learn how easily they can bring their Second Life stuff into real life!

4. 69775_deleted
    69775_deleted Member
    Sint-Lukas Brussels. I've since graduated :)

That's very reassuring to hear. I was mostly concerned that issues would arise from the fact that these models consist of several different loose parts. The one Maya printing tutorial I've read so far only explains the process for a single object (a hand). I'll just have to try it out I suppose and see what happens.

It's true that I'm mostly interested in printing small, full color figurines. I probably won't need to hollow out much for this purpose. (It might not be wise either, as I believe the full color sandstone is quite delicate?)

I've actually visited a Fab Lab in the Netherlands (as part of a school course as well), where I printed out a simple candle holder. (This wasn't a Second Life model though. I'd created it specifically to be printed.) Afterwards we reinforced the sandstone models with glue. It was quite amazing to see designs come to life like that!

5. 91317_deleted
    91317_deleted Member
    Hello & welcome.

That's some powerfully cute material have you created there! Nicely done.

6. 69775_deleted
    69775_deleted Member
    Thank you! :D

I love creating cute, whimsical things that make people smile.

7. 44692_deleted
    44692_deleted Member
    Welcome, looking forward to seeing more 3D printed cuteness..