Signets and Wax Seals

Discussion in 'My Shapeways Order Arrived' started by 57070_deleted, Jul 6, 2011.

1. 57070_deleted
    57070_deleted Member
    Finally, I got everything set up and ready to offer custom image to product wax seals! I got mine in the mail a few weeks ago and have been testing extensively (in WSF if you are wondering).

Photos:
    View attachment 9855
    A shot of the the underside and my custom logo.

View attachment 9856
    A seal made on an envelope with the signet, sort of a minor misjudgement on the placing, but it turned out well.

View attachment 9857
    A closer look for the curious

View attachment 9858
    Using a letter opener feels very authentic and Victorian...

View attachment 9859
    Using the right kind of wax, you can make the seals breakable (and thus tamper evident), or flexible (reusable and easier to open).

What do you think? Testing is being done on FUD right now, although I'm positive that the results will be good considering the outcomes with WSF. I was hoping to come out with some more handle designs to make for more variety. I suppose that's my cue to get down to work! I also hope to allow grayscale (as opposed to black and white) soon, sooner if the image popper does it first.

2. Very nice.
    WSF seems to be quite good as far as detail, even the grain adds some rustic quality. FUD should be very nice indeed. I am waiting on a FUD plate to try my hand at paper embossing my monogram.
    I shall post my results once it arrives. Well done keep us updated with the FUD results.

3. 48132_deleted
    48132_deleted Member
    I would dig a signet ring in stainless steel. I remember I bought a small signet metal stamp with a capital R on it from some tourism shop. They had all the letters of the alphabet. Pretty neat, but not nearly as cool as a customized signet.

4. lensman
    lensman Well-Known Member
    Yes, I think the WSF should be fine for this project. Why the expense of FUD, except if a lot of detail is required, of course?

What wax were you using? It doesn't seem to be the dark red of the usual sealing wax.

Glenn

5. 57070_deleted
    57070_deleted Member
    And here comes FUD! .... I always want to say elmer before that for some reason :laughing:

DSCF3675.jpg
    Here is the raw as it arrived piece, I need to get some of that wax out, although it is perfectly functional without any post production.

DSCF3680.jpg
    Piece vs. Hand

DSCF3683.jpg
    Close up on design

DSCF3694.jpg
    A quick seal job, although I did not let the wax cool long enough it would work out much better if I had waited a bit. (As you can see, a small part on the edge broke off, which is not a problem with the die, but the temperature at which I took the die off).

DSCF3695.jpg
    Comparison, as you can see, the FUD is far superior in edge detail and sharp corners. Although that detail may not be necessary for your design.

@Glenn: I am using dollar store scented candle wax, it suffices until my sealing wax arrives.

@RogersX: I don't have much experience with stainless steel's design rules, but I think a single letter (or even 2/3) would be possible if the die size was increased. (Especially since it's been used for branding irons).