FUD test batch arrived

Discussion in 'My Shapeways Order Arrived' started by Eeppium, May 12, 2011.

1. Eeppium
    Eeppium Member
    I got these just few hours ago.
    ordeder them in Frosted Ultra Detail and they came out 50% awesome.
    there is some sort of an printing error in them, that ends halfway to the model. One side is very smooth and transparent but the other side is quite rough and milky, also the rough side is slightly elevated , I can feel the ridge very clearly with my fingers.

the Crystalring came out better that the rest, while there are some of that milkyness on the band portion it doesn´t really matter since they are supposed to be made of different minerals :)

CrystalRing http://shpws.me/1uMu

SkullRing http://shpws.me/1uMw

skull001.JPG

The elevated area can be seen here clearly on top of the head
    skull002.JPG

You can see the print error as a line going along the side of the leg.
    lizard001.JPG

crystal001.JPG crystal002.JPG

2. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    Hmm this is the second set I've seen with half the print coming out odd. Seeing the transition isn't straight (like the printer was printing good, then started printing bad) It looks to me like it's from the support material.

3. lensman
    lensman Well-Known Member
    Hhm, not impressed so far... hopefully others have better results.

Glenn

4. Eeppium
    Eeppium Member
    Hopefully they get the process working propely soon cause the smoothness of the surface is amazing, I´ve dropped the skullring few times cos its so slippy :laughing:
    And the clarity of the material is way better than of transparent detail, just the thing I´ve been waiting for an old project of mine.

5. 48132_deleted
    48132_deleted Member
    Good to hear, thank you for the pics as well!

6. Spongeinside
    Spongeinside Member
    I've ordered some stuff in FUD too.. hope it comes out without these faults I've been reading about a lot lately...

The cristal ring looks awesome btw :cool:

7. stop4stuff
    stop4stuff Well-Known Member
    FUD looks Good!

Still waiting on mine... I did get a sneaky-peak preview piccy of one model earlier, but as yet, no go ahead for showing the pics :(

You say the 'error' has a millky look?
    The support material for FUD is a white wax... perhaps it didn't all run off in the finishing oven. If I had my models arrive with the same, I'd run a lighter flame across the surface to see if it makes a difference like with coloured sandstone.

8. Eeppium
    Eeppium Member
    The print error area is as hard as the smooth area, so it clearly is not just some exess wax. perhaps the support material somehow got fused with the build material since the lowrez side is about 0,05 thicker (you can see it in the pic)

I did remove some of the remaining wax inside the skullring with hot tap water, it softened the wax nicely.

Last edited: May 12, 2011
  9. RalphVdB
    RalphVdB Well-Known Member CS Team
    Hi Erno,

I have made an official complaint for this ( I will PM you the complaintnumber). As soon as we have determined what could be the cause of this we will offer you a proper solution. If we decided to re-print this model you will be informed by email about all the production updates.

Once again sorry for all the inconvenience.

Hope this helps you out a bit!

Cheers, Ralph

10. Eeppium
    Eeppium Member
    Thank you :)

Hopefully these are just few freak accidents, since this material shows much promise.

11. Eeppium
    Eeppium Member
    More photos!
    Just got the lizard painted. the grey primer really brings out the details.

incase anyone is wondering about those strange vertical slits on his back. He is a desert dwelling lizard roughly the size of a van and those slits are cavities where the cool morning air is directed and the moisture condences to water. There are lots of skin folds inside to increace the surface area. :D

There is a beetle that uses similar technique, but it uses the small hairs on it´s back for the same effect :cool:

lizard002.JPG

Lizard side.JPG

Lizard back.JPG

Last edited: May 17, 2011
  12. chris89
    chris89 Member
    Really useful photos to see it with the grey primer on :) looks like it holds up well!