Reducing the model, the price jumped!

Discussion in 'Design and Modeling' started by noc146, Mar 23, 2011.

1. noc146
    noc146 Member
    I am trimming pieces from my model, gradually reducing the price by very small amounts. The bounding box is the same, I am just thinning out parts within the tolerances allowed.

Then suddenly, the price jumps UP!

How do I know when my model is printing at the most efficient possible, that I am not paying money unnecessarily when a trim here or there might save me more?

Is it simply trial and error?

Many thanks.

2. WillLaPuerta
    WillLaPuerta Well-Known Member
    This happened to me before and really frustrated me until I remembered that WSF has a discount if your model is above a certain density. When you keep the bounding box the same but thin the walls you reduce the density and may drop below the minimum level.

3. noc146
    noc146 Member
    I have three versions of the same model, each with very slight differences in wall thicknesses, yet the prices vary between €35.84, €40.97 and €41.60. The first price is the thicker one.

I wonder is there a way to know where the discount occurs? If I produce a new model, perhaps I will be close to the discount without realising, and pay more than I need?

4. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
  5. noc146
    noc146 Member
    Many thanks for that! Two more questions. Is this a limited offer, to be withdrawn in the future?

And is there a way for me to calculate the volume of my model?

I hope to sell quite a few of my models, and the pricing will become a critical issue.

Many thanks.

6. Youknowwho4eva
    after you upload your volume is under the bonding box dimensions. Your software may or may not have a volume calculator (I use KeyCreator, and it does have a volume calculator)

7. noc146
    noc146 Member
    My apologies, it was right under my nose! :)

8. Youknowwho4eva
    Not a problem.