Invert pendant

Discussion in 'My Work In Progress' started by torus2, Mar 7, 2011.

1. torus2
    torus2 Member
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2011
  2. baltimore
    baltimore Member
    looks cool but it looks pretty thin... probably won't be able to be build. what material are you planning?

3. torus2
    torus2 Member
    Metal, basically. I shall go ahead and add some supporting material to the top.

4. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    If you plan on ordering in stainless, 1) it has to be 3mm thick. and 2) all that unsupported geometry will probably make it unprintable.
    If you plan to wait for silver, the previous minimum thickness was .5mm but you would still have issues with the unsupported geometry I believe (they print in wax, then use that to cast the silver)

5. torus2
    torus2 Member
    Unsupported geometry- what does that mean exactly? Does this would be unprintable even if I made each twist at least 3mm?

Any recommendations?

6. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    What it means is, in stainless there is a green phase. Where the model is very fragile. They have to pack a support material around it to bake it. To pack around the swirls of the pendent would be difficult without breakage, and during the firing process they would most likely sag. I think it would be very difficult to get your intended result in stainless. I'm not as sure about silver, it may be more doable. But we'll have to wait to see the new guidelines when they are released.

7. torus2
    torus2 Member
    :\

Disappointing. I shall make it non-order-able then.

8. stop4stuff
    stop4stuff Well-Known Member