Sea Chess

Discussion in 'My Work In Progress' started by WillLaPuerta, Feb 20, 2011.

1. WillLaPuerta
    WillLaPuerta Well-Known Member
    I've always wanted to have a try making a chess set, but I never could settle on a theme. Finally decided to give undersea creatures a try.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I made them big enough and thick enough to print in color, whenever it is that I get around to making color maps, but right now my biggest concern is stability. I hope the bases are heavy enough to keep the taller ones from toppling over.

2. 9694_deleted
    9694_deleted Member
    Those are awesome! Really original.

Is that a crab and a fish swimming through some reeds for the king and the queen?

3. WillLaPuerta
    Yeah, the king's a crab and the queen's an angelfish. Those are supposed to be sponges, since when I looked up queen angelfish that's what I saw in a lot of the pictures.

Those are just the rough models. I'm going to smooth them out and try to add some more details later.

I've also used dynamics to for a rough idea on how stable they are. Dropped them from a height with a bit of a tilt to them and none of them tipped over. Sure, that's not exactly accurate, but it's the best I can do until they've been printed.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2011
  4. Kaetemi
    Kaetemi Member
    Looks nice =)

5. WillLaPuerta
    Thanks

I finally got them colored.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. JediDA
    JediDA Member
    Wow! That's Beautiful!

7. stop4stuff
    stop4stuff Well-Known Member
    Stunning!

8. virtox
    virtox Active Member Moderator
    :eek: :eek:

Wonderful!

9. 20201_deleted
    20201_deleted Member
    Sponge Bob & Patrick would go bonkers! Great job.

10. WillLaPuerta
    Thanks, everyone. I wanted to make the matching chess board available as well, but it's just too wide to print in color. So I thought, what if I break it down into smaller, individual squares that interlock?

[​IMG]

Also make a base and sides printed in WSF that can hold the squares in place when assembled.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also thought that if I offered the tiles with just half the total number required then people could order half in a light material and half in a dark material and put them together to make their own custom boards, but I don't know how well different materials work and play together.

I understand things don't always come out the same size they were designed to be. At this point, I don't even know if my original idea of combining WSF with full color sandstone would work.

11. WillLaPuerta
    Nobody out there with experience getting different materials to work and play together?

OK, anyway, after a week or two of errors every time I tried to upload the file for the chess pieces it spontaneously worked just fine.

https://www.shapeways.com/model/224875/sea_chess_pieces.html? gid=ug40586

Now I just need a spare 500 bucks to see how these babies look in real life . . .

Last edited: Mar 11, 2011
  12. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    I had modeled a multi-material thing a while ago for somebuddy, they told me it worked great but never sent me pictures :'(

13. Ray716
    Ray716 Member
    Well.. you could do it one part at a time... Like just the King or Rook for now, and add each piece as you go along...

Nawww.. what am i talking about.. you could just stand on a street corner with a sign that reads "Need money for Chess Set!" :D

Ray

14. WillLaPuerta
    Oh? Which materials were they? How were they supposed to work together?

Heh heh. I'll definitely consider it.