Patina on Gold Plated

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by designerica, Jan 15, 2011.

1. designerica
    designerica Member
    I received this feedback from a customer who bought a gold-plated ring. I have never seen this or heard of it... anyone else? She claims she only used water, but I can't think of any reason why the part would turn white in water- i tried it myself and nothing happened. i'm having her send it back. I've seen white patina on a steel product that i left in water for days, but not instantly and never on gold. What do you guys think, is this possible for a gold plated product?

------------
    So we were real excited to get the ring but I rinsed it in water as I do all jewelry before I wear it , and it instantly took on a white patina that wont come off. Is that normal? Will IT come off. Will it turn white if I sweat or get get my hands wet?
    ------------

-Erica

2. 20201_deleted
    20201_deleted Member
    Erica,
    This is the first I have heard about this reaction. I do know that all the gold plated parts are given a topcoat of acrylic lacquer. Possibly the lacquer takes on a whitish blush when left in water? I will try to repeat this condition on a test sample then get back to you.

3. bitstoatoms
    bitstoatoms Member
    Weird,

Be sure to send us images ASAP.

Cheers

4. 20201_deleted
    20201_deleted Member
    Erica,
    Was this polished gold plate or matte gold plate? I ask because we use two different lacquer formulations.
    If a decent close up photo is possible it would help. I'm will try and replicate this reaction in the shop.

-G

5. designerica
    designerica Member
    it was matte gold. I haven't received the part back yet, but when i do, i'll take photos and upload them.

6. 20201_deleted
    20201_deleted Member
    Ok, that's good to know. I'll try to repeat they problem today.

7. bitstoatoms
    bitstoatoms Member
    Hi Erica,

Thanks again for your info, the fabricators have managed to reproduce the effect, and are now looking onto ways to resolve the issue.

"The problem is with the matte lacquer we use to topcoat matte parts, gold or not. This formula does in fact "blush" white when it gets wet with tap water. This effect will eventually reverse itself or it can be expedited by placing object in a warm place for a couple of hours or faster still, by blowing with a hairdryer for a few minutes. "

They are now investigating a new lacquer formulation that will prevent this from happening in the future.

Also with human wear a natural protective layer often builds up from our skin oils that will prevent this happening, but we will modify the lacquer to fix the issue.

thanks to Erica and Glen for your time..