necklace design contest winner!

Discussion in 'My Shapeways Order Arrived' started by Gijs, Nov 18, 2010.

1. Gijs
    Gijs Member
    I'd like to share with you, the winning design of a small design competion I have held in the class of my (8 year old) son.

I've had the opportunity to show them the magics of 3D printing and promised them to make the winning design in real.

The winning design was a very cute necklace, that just makes you happy instantly.

necklace-sophie-03.jpg

The hard part was to turn her sketch into a printable object, while keeping the feel of the hand made sketch and the delicacy of the thin lines. Therefore, all the items were drawn instead of modeling a few and copying them.

Shown here printed in gorgeous winter red...

necklace-sophie-01.jpg

necklace-sophie-02.jpg

tomorrow it will be handed over to the proud winner :)

2. Dotsan
    Dotsan Well-Known Member
    Looks fantastic, well done. What is the minimum wall thickness, was it printed as one part? Did you have any problems with Shapeways cleaning the part after printing?
    Regards
    VV

3. Gijs
    Gijs Member
    Thanks,

No residues, at least not that I've noticed, so Shapewasy has done a very good job in cleaning. Maybe that has to do with the process of painting, that it washes away loose powder, or that they take more cleaning care for painted models. My experience with the plain white models is that they feel much more powdered. The painting kind of works like a fixation layer also.

The model was made by drawing the curves and drawing pipes around those of 1mm. The lower area's in the shapes, like the faces and the filled in hearts are 0.7mm

the piece was printed in one piece.

4. Dotsan
    Dotsan Well-Known Member
    Thanks

Last edited: Nov 19, 2010
  5. Dimmulain
    Dimmulain Member
    wow Gijs! what you have done is really nice. I can't imagine how happy the young winner is!
    the design is sweet, indeed. damn kids have good ideas!

6. bitstoatoms
    bitstoatoms Member
    Perfect!!!!!

Thank you for sharing.

7. 45235_deleted
    45235_deleted Member
    Wonderful, what a great idea!

8. Gijs
    Gijs Member
    Thanks for the nice words!

I can say that the girl who designed this was very happy with it! It is definately worth a follow-up.

9. LincolnK
    LincolnK Member
    Very cute! What a sweet idea too.

I'll bet those kids think you are super awesome!

Lincoln
    www.Craftosterone.com

10. Cre83D
    Cre83D Member
    Very well done!

Its great to share 3D with kids.

11. Gijs
    Gijs Member
    Thanks again!

it's indeed great to share this with kids
    I can highly recommend everybody to organize an event like this, as everyone I tell about it is very enthousiastic about it.