Emachineshop.com CAD Conversion

Discussion in 'Software and Applications' started by Lonecoon, Nov 10, 2010.

1. Lonecoon
    Lonecoon Member
    I'm having a problem with my CAD program, namely Emachineshop.com's free CAD software. I've been able to export .STL files in the past, yet for some reason, when I try to export something now, it fails. I can render them just fine, so I know the designs are good, it's just not working. I suppose I got what I paid for, but I'm still at a loss as how to get usable files.

The only thing I can export my drawings as are .DXF. When I import them into Blender or Accutrans, they're just planes, rather than a modeled

I'm out of ideas as to what to do next.

I was able to nab the XML files the CAD uses for the conversion, but I can't translate that into a usable Shapeways file either.

.DXF file is attach, if anyone has a clue how to help. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    Does it have a default format that you can put up? I'm downloading the software now to see what I can asses.

3. Lonecoon
    Lonecoon Member
    The default format is .EMS, which I'm guessing is a proprietary format based off .dxf files. That's just a wild guess, as the file sizes are fairly close.

Other than the fact it can't export worth a darn with curved models half the time, it's well worth the download.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 10, 2010
  4. Youknowwho4eva
    I'm having no luck getting it to export, but I do love that it may be able to export iges. I'm looking at it in eMachineshop's 3D view and the bottom 2 appear to have issues in the handle.

It appears the problem may be slight misalignments in the wires. I don't know how to use the software so I cant try to fix it. But I did draw it in my software using the dxf as a guide. But it won't import into the emachineshop software... Oh well at least here's an stl you could upload.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 11, 2010
  5. LincolnK
    LincolnK Member
    I contacted them because I wanted to try taking some files that I have made for shapeways, and see if they could CNC them out of wax (since I need wax and SW still doesn't offer it).

When it wouldn't import my files, I asked them what was going on.

I was told, "Import and export in our program doesn't often work at this point".

:(

6. Youknowwho4eva
    Yea the model I made, I tried to import it into emachineshop by iges and sat. No luck, it gives you a pop up that says it currently doesn't import arches...